Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble setting up PPTP on XP

• Please log in to reply

slpsms

slpsms

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone. Having a problem setting up a PPTP VPN connection to my school server. I run Windows XP SP2. Here is the step by step...create new connection, connect to network at my workplace, virtual private network connection, put in a connection name, do not dial initial connection, supply the provided host name, and I am done.

I have fixed internet connection to my cable internet provider. But when I go to connect to my newly established VPN connection, it is trying to dial via a modem that doesn't even exist on my computer. When I look at the properties of this connection, there is no where to define that I am already connected to the internet and the General tab reads 'connect using...followed by a generic modem description.' Under networking tab, instead of the drop down reading 'type of PPTP VPN', it reads 'type of dialup server I am calling' and the only options are PPP and SLIP with no option for PPTP.

ANy thoughts on why this thing is trying to set this up as a dialup connection and not allowing me to note that I am already connected to the internet and thus be able to select PPTP? On that same networking tab dialog, there is a list of items the connection uses and they include...

Internet Protocol TCP/IP
QoS Packet Scheduler
Client for Microsoft Windows
NWLink IPX/SPX/Netbios Compatible Transport Protocol

But no Point To Point Tunneling Protocol

If I then choose 'Install', I don't find PPTP anywhere as a protocol that can be installed.

All of the above happened when I tried to create a manual VPN connection. In addition, my school provides an executable for installing a VPN connection. It creates the connection, but when you try and connect, the 'connect' button is grayed out and a message reads that 'you must have PPTP protocol installed on your machine before you can connect...'

Any thoughts and insight would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
There is no option for PPTP in Windows Networking. Make sure when you setup the connection to use Virtual Private Network connection, not Dial Up as the Dial Up is the default. You probably blasted through the setup, as usually what I do as well :whistling:. Try setting up the connection again.