Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

networking

• Please log in to reply

golfor

golfor

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I have a Linksys wireless G 2.4 GHz broadband router. I live in a remote area in Wisconsin, we finally got high speedy cable in our area. I hooked up in the house and bought the router in order to be wireless in the house, It works great. I have an office in my barn where I have a wood working business, the barn is approximately 1000 feet from the house. I bought a new PC for my office in the barn thinking I would be able to get a signal from the house, but I'm not able to. Surely their must be some way of getting the signal from the house to the barn, without having to buy an additional cable connection. Please tell me what I need to do, and how to do it. My neighbor pretends to be a computer expert and he tells me I need an omni directional antenna, could he be right?

Thank you,

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

approximately 1000 feet

1000 feet is WAY too far for wireless (it's too far for wired as well...) you MAY be able to make/purchase a long range antenna that would bridge that gap but i doubt seriously that you'd be able to get that distance....if you got a few repeaters you could theoretically run CAT5 cable (ethernet) out to the barn...but even then that's a pretty long distance (distance on ethernet is 300 feet-ish)..it's possible that you could get another cable line run to the barn...but then you'd h ave to get a second internet connection for the barn