Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My ISO to DVD woe's

• Please log in to reply

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi Guys,

Hope someone can help with my main issue here (and if any advice is forthcoming on the second one - woohoo!!)

1st prob;

In my continued efforts to at last get a linux distro up and running I need to burn an iso image to dvd. The iso is from the opensuse (linux) website. I digress - the issue is that that I can only find a couple of freeware apps that do this in XP and the ones that do just keep messing it up! - do you know of any apps that can do this with no hassle?

2nd prob;

I recently upgraded my motherboard and as such had to do a repair install of xp in order for the hdd and it's contents to be recognised and useable. I followed the windows website advice and all seemed to have worked out fine. However, i'm finding the machine slower than the old one - in that this processor is a 2.5ghz and the old one was 550mhz, surely this shouldn't be the case? - the question here i guess is - is my machine trying to read the old drivers etc, even though the repair install (according to windows) should have solved this. Anyone any idea how to find out? - a way to solve this without having to reinstall partition all over again?

I'm struggling here guys and would really welcome any help.

Thanks

Steve
:whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi exparisstevie...

1st prob;

Download the trial version of Nero. Burn your ISO using that. When burning ISO images, it's best to burn at the slowest speed you can.

2nd prob;

Click Start, point to "All Programs", then to "Accessories", then to "System Tools", and run "Disk Clean Up" Then run "Disk Defragmenter"...also from System Tools.

Click Start, then Run, type prefetch, then press "Enter", click "Edit", then "Select All", (all files will highlight), right click any file, click "Delete", confirm, then reboot.

Download, install, and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run "Tune Up Disk Clean-up"

Run "Tune Up Registry Clean-up"

Click "Optimize and Improve" to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then reboot.

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors.

The following are suggestions for making the most of the free trial.

After the reboot, click "Optimize", then "System Optimizer" to optimize the computer, select "Computer with an Internet Connection" from the drop down menu...this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click "Optimize", then "System Optimizer to Accelerate Downloads" and select the speed just above your actual connection speed...this also requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click Optimize", then "System Optimizer" to run "System Advisor".

wannabe1

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi there Wannabe1,

Cheers for your advice. I've been advocating the use of tune up on here for a long time (I help on here when I can - usually busy on the malware forums or at work fixing mac issues) so very aware of the functionality of tune up.

To be honest however, i'd have to say that if there are inherent hardware driver issues to be sorted, tuneup wont be the prog to sort them (run the app, very regularly and in addition when any problems arise). If i'm completely honest here i'd have to admit i'm almost completely convinced my only option is to bite the bullet and reinstall. Again to be honest my only reason for not doing so earlier is laziness - and past experience tells me that laziness costs far more time than it ever saves.

Regardless, thank you for your help here. I did find a great program that solved the issue of burning (IMGBURN), it turns out however that the initial download info (regardless of passing the md5chksum test) was infact corrupt.

One more thing to point out. I also found a fantasic program to assist downloading - (turned my 30kb per sec download into 370kbps+) - it's called "wxDownload Fast" and has really made a difference

again cheers for your advice

Stevie

Edited by exparisstevie, 19 October 2006 - 07:07 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

laziness costs far more time than it ever saves.

Man...you said a mouthful there... :blink:

Sometimes, particularly after a major hardware change like a cpu or motherboard, the inplace upgrade just doesn't cut the mustard. With the way I mess with my machine, I format three or four times a year. It's to the point that I can almost do it in my sleep... :whistling:

If you've got good backups and have the installation media for all your applications, I would whole heartedly agree that a fresh start would be the way to go.

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hey there Wanabee,

Yep - suppose I do whine on a bit..... I'm an English teacher too. I'm one of those really annoying guys who do too many things for their own good (having checked my own posts - I must report that my spelling, grammar and punctuation leave much to be desired!!!!!!!)

At the mo - doing course revision, mock exam (yr9) prep as well as my usual help on the forums

A question for you personally - Do you ever feel stupid asking for help? - I used to but have been finding it easier and easier lately - that either means i'm daft or that i've learned to open up and ask when i need help.

Stay happy.

Stevie

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nope...I never feel stupid for not knowing something OR for asking for a little help. To me, the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

Asking questions and questioning answers is how we learn...throw yourself into the process. :whistling:

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Thanks man. Makes me feel a whole lot better. Still around at this time in the morning (doing research on probs for folks... - oh yeah btw it's 5.22am here!! - will have to get a couple of hours sleep soon - have to be alive at 9.30)

hehe

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're welcome, Stevie.

You'd better get some sleep, dude! :whistling:

Cheers