Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need internet; Mac upstairs, Windows downstairs

• Please log in to reply

Ja_shwicka

Ja_shwicka

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a computer that runs on Windows downstairs and has an internet connection. I have a Mac desktop upstairs and need a connection up there. I was going to buy a wireless router but everyone says that they don't work if you're trying to get the internet from a Windows to share it with a Mac. What's the easiest/cheapest way to get the internet on my Mac upstairs?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Wireless router would replace your original router as the access point it would transmit indpendantly of the operating system windows wouldnt be involved in the wireless transmission, your OS is the end of the internet path the router is the junction it doesnt matter about the systems the junction will always be open.

So a wireless router would work just fine.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
It will work just fine. It's TCP/IP, which every OS uses. If you want to share resources between machines. ie. files and printers, you need to be running at least OS X 10.3 and have Windows Sharing enabled.