Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

new build not working

• Please log in to reply

cheema

cheema

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi. I put my pc by the window and water dripped into it from the top. I have a p180 case so you can see everthing was kind of wet when i opened up the case. The dust on the heatsinks was wet so I knew that the cpu had gotten wet, i saw stains on the mobo so i knew that the mobo was kind of wet, i saw green stuff (i am guessing it was chalk?) on my x1900xt gfx card so i knew that was wet, and there was water to the side of my psu. There was also a little puddle underneath my pc. I opened the side panel and tried to start up the pc but it didn't turn on. However, all the fans, including the cpu heatsink one, moved for about two seconds and then i smelled a burning smell from the cpu. I quickly unplugged the psu. Now, can I say for sure that my cpu (amd x2 4400) is fried? How can I test if my psu or mobo or working or not? I was thinking about swapping my psu (TP II 550W) with a 350 W psu from my friends computer and only running the cpu on there to see if it works. Any other advice? I am so stupid. I loved my pc :whistling:

Advertisements

monkeymedia

monkeymedia

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Cheema,

Could be any part of the computer that has been damaged, it sounds like quite a lot of water so it is likely that the water would have bridged one or more connections somewhere the motherboard or graphics card are likely places, it depends upon where as to what damage it may have done.

Electronic components are quite resilient so I wouldnt write off the cpu or any component straight away, it would be best to test each component of the PC in a totally seperate build so you can see what works and what doesnt.

I would strip the system down and allow it to completely dry out then test each part, that way you should be able to find out what, if anything, has been damaged.

Good Luck

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Take everything out ur case and put it onto a bench or something leave it all untill all the water has evaporated and then put the basic parts, Motherboard, CPU, 1 stick of RAM onto a cardboard box and see if the BIOS beeps. Thats what I would do if it doesn't work try each part with another system untill you find the piece that doesnt work.

Edited by rumble291, 19 October 2006 - 04:38 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Turning it on was probably the worst thing you can possibly do in that situation other than pouring more water on it.

You need to strip it, dry and clean every component so youll need plenty paper towels, a hair dryer on a low heat, some alcohol, new thermal compound and cotton buds. You will also need to take static precations as it will involve a fair bit of handling. When its all done the whole thing will need to inspect every component and socket for damage its more than likely youve killed or blow something, you might need to replace the fuse in the PSU as well.

And remember Electronics + Water = Bad , electrocution, death and damage are likely. I take it you missed that day in school.

350W PSU unless its a very very good one will not run your system in a month of sundays.

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
[removed dangerous and dumb advice]

Edited by admin, 20 October 2006 - 11:30 PM.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I connected just the cpu and it worked perfectly. Now I am just going to connect the psu to the gfx card (while the card is sitting outside, not seated in the pci slot). I'll let you know how it works. So I can tell that the cpu and the mobo and psu are fine. Is that a correct conclusion from the heatsink fan on the cpu running and the ram working properly (i have corsair xms with lights to indicate usage so i could tell it was working).

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Thats good to hear! someones lucky there pc didnt blow up. I would get a better PSU though cause 350W running your machine is pushing it a bit i would get at least a 500W PSU with that.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
My friends psu actually has a different pin connector so I am going to simply put my gfx card in another friends computer to test it. I opened the x1900xt gfx card and there was this chip that had this rubbery substance on it. I am guessing that it is the gfx processing chip. I actually wiped all that goo off because it wasn't stuck to anything. Where can I get more of that? I don't want to test it before putting more of it on.

P.S. When I put in the gfx card on my mobo with the cpu, the computer doesn't work, i see little gray smoke come out from around the gfx card. So does that mean my gfx is busted or somthing (this is before i took the goo off)?

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
the goo was prob thermal paste and yes that isn't good, anytime a computer gets wet, if things start to smoke you know something is going very very wrong.

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

the goo was prob thermal paste and yes that isn't good, anytime a computer gets wet, if things start to smoke you know something is going very very wrong.

...and you should get the videocamera out for us people :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can order new thermal material from most compter shops or if you have a local shop nip in and get some you want arctic silver 5 preferably.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Is there any BIOS beeps when you turn on the computer? with a bust graphics card the BIOS beeps around 4 times and then another 2.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
no beeps. I think it's either the pci-e slot that i put my gfx card in (mobo is msi k8n neo 4 platinum) or something right above it because when i turned on my computer i saw a little smoke "bubble" come out from the base of the gfx card. I think it might have been one of the black cyclindrical things (resistor?) on the mobo or the pci-e slot itself. I will get the silver paste and try turning it on again. Is there any way i can test the gfx card without putting it in the mobo? So if I plug in the power cord from my psu into my gfx without putting it into the mobo slot should the gfx card work?

P.S. If I want to test a cheap gfx card to see if it is my mobo slot is the problem, which one should i get? I tried using my friends but he has a weird gfx card and it doesn't fit in my yellow pci-e slot or any regular pci slot.

Edited by cheema, 22 October 2006 - 01:11 PM.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
should the gfx card work or not with it's power chord but without being in the pci-e x16 slot?