Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem with the graphics driver

• Please log in to reply

delica88

delica88

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
hi its me again thnks for your previuos help, i now have my driver which i obtained from sony, the problem now is it wont install :tazz: the reason is beacuse i cant get the standard vga driver. can someone tell me how to get this. thnks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
??

Can't get the standard vga driver...?

Isn't that what you have loaded now? I don't know what you mean....

What happens when you try to install it?

In device manager, (right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES< choose HARDWARE), any yellow !s?

delica88

delica88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
at the moment its using video controller (vga compatible) which i guess is wrong
the laptop which i purchased is a sony vaio pcg k315m if anyone has encoutered this before i would be happy for some feedback

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
The video driver you got from sony....does it have an executable (setup.exe) or is it an archive of files, including a setup.inf file?

delica88

delica88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
the driver i got from sony is just a setup exe file.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Wish I could see that driver...some setup.exe just dump the files in a folder, then run a setup routine, some run the setup completely.

When you run setup, what happens?

In the meantime back to Device controller. Choose the video controller, choose the driver tab, choose the update driver button, follow the wizard. This should install the standard vga.

If it does not, choose the update button, choose "install from a specific location," choose "DON"T SEARCH...", choose HAVE DISK, type "c:\wondows\inf" in box....you should see standard vga now. Choose that.

Let it install the standard vga driver, reboot, then run your setup

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
If you are running XP, it should automatically locate and install the standard VGA drivers for you. Try removing the card and plugging it back in. You should get the Found New Hardware popup on your task bar. Click on it and it should take care of installing for you.

delica88

delica88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
thnx for help but no luck i did both of wat u told me and nothing happened and i couldnt see standard vga. secondly this is a laptop and im not pullin it apart

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Can you tell me how you got to this state?

It sounds very much like you installed the wrong driver--that's ok, it happens. One of the reasons I hate Sony, HP, Compaq is they make it nearly impossible to research their systems, they hide their drivers (can't download without a serial number), have incomplete specs....grumble

delica88

delica88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
my computer was acting really sluggish and i went on the net to see why, then i updated all of my drivers apart from my video on which wouldnt let me beacause of a missing file or something, i shut down my pc and went to bed. next morning started it up and the screen was small and then a pop up told me i had no video driver :tazz: so i went to install it and :mad: it wudnt let me because of not hav ing a standard vga driver

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
btw, you never answered this question:

When you run setup, what happens?

Anyway, KidNova has the right idea...it's just sometimes difficult to "remove" something once it has been installed wrong.

Really, all we need to do is to remove the driver, and stop windows from reloading it.

Right Click MY COMPUTER< choose PROPERTIES< choose HARDWARE, choose DEVICE MANAGER.

Select Display, then select your video (vga compatable) adapter...then choose uninstall....then reboot.

Now, we can go two ways here...let's try this first...as your booting, tap f8 and go into safe mode.

From within safemode, run your setup.exe

delica88

delica88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
:tazz: i will do but! i have already tryed this and then its says there is a inf problem

delica88

delica88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
ok heres the full. firstly it says there is no component make sure u have the right hardware and software. so i go on to the driver itself and it says directx8 is not installled when i have 9.0 2ndlyit starts t o install then says inf error video driver not find, then the usual balls about the satndard vga driver

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Can you tell me what driver you loaded before? That would help greatly.

Also, do you have a windows cd (being sony probably not).

delica88

delica88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
the driver i had was the catalyst one which is the one im trying to install. no i dont have a windows cd. i thought sony stuff was the stuff to get but noew i no its probablyy better to get a custom