Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing defective hard drive with higher capacity.

• Please log in to reply

Skip Nagel

Skip Nagel

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I replaced the defective 40GB ATA100, 7200 RPM hard drive with a new 80GB ATA100, 7200 RPM drive. The ROM BIOS installed on this Dell 8200 is Phoenix Plus version 1.10 A03. At startup the motherboard does not reconize the new hard drive. Do I need to upgrade the BIOS software? I will be using Acronis True Image 9.0 software and plan to restore the new hard drive using a startup CD and full backed up information from an external USB hard drive. Is the BIOS my problem? What should I do next?

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
When you go into the BIOS settings, does it show up on the list of boot devices at all? If not, (and this may sound stupid but I have to ask) Are you sure its plugged in securley and theres power running to it? Also, are you installing the new hardrive as a slave to your original and copyign over the data or are you replacing your original and setting the new one as a master? Oh and speaking of which, are your jumpers set correctly (Slave/Master/Cable select)?

--Chris

Skip Nagel

Skip Nagel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Jumper is set just like the old drive "Cable Select" and the new drive is reconized in BIOS, at least the capacity at 80GB, but a "0" still appears in the hard drive listing. I do not know how to toggle this to "1". Thanks for helping me!

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
You mean the "Disk Management" list shows the hard drive as "Disk 0" ? This is just the way the computer enumerates the drives, it starts at 0 then counts up (0 1 2 3 etc.) Did you try to assign a drive letter to the disk drive in the "Disk Management" listing?

--Chris

Skip Nagel

Skip Nagel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have received a message that the new hard drive is a "Non-system disk" so the motherboad must know that it is in place. I plan to reload the data from my external hard drive using True Image 9.0 software and start-up CD today. I do not have an up to date CD version of Windows XP operating system. I thought that I would be able to clone the new drive and not have to reinstall any software.

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
ok, i know whats wrong, you said you had it set to "Cable select", well the drive you replaced was probably in the "Master cable" which menas it will try to boot form that one first. You have to format the new drive in order for windows to see it as a hard drive that can be used. try copying the image to your external, then putting it on the new drive to see if it formats it at that time. If it doesn't, write back and let me know and we can go from there as to how to format the disk first.

--Chris