Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Print Spooler Service Not Running

• Please log in to reply

bstock123

bstock123

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have an eMachines T6412 that runs Windows XP with a Lexmark Z715 printer. Both have been working fine in the almost 1 year since I purchased them. Then, for seemingly no reason, the printer started not working. It can power on, but the computer doesn't read it. I went the the control panel > printers and faxes and tried to add a printer, but it says "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running". I've goodled the problem and have seen several forums and tried some of the suggestions but with no success. In the printers and faxes windown when I File > Server properties, it says "server properties cannot be viewed. The print spooler service is not running". I have deleted (I think) all printer drivers, including the software for my printer. The printers and faxes window is now empty. When I try to install the new drivers from the Lexmark website, it won't let me. I've also done the thing where you go to set the print spooler to automatic or something. That also doesn't work. HELP PLEASE! I use my printer quite a bit for work! I'm hoping beyond hope that I don't have to resort to a reinstall, which I don't know how to do anyway!

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Go to Start | Run | then type (without the quotes) "msconfig" then hit enter. The system configuration utility should come up, go to the services tab, and sort the services by name (click on the word service) Then scroll down to the service titled "Print Spooler". Make sure it is checked.

Let me know if this helps or not.

--Chris

bstock123

bstock123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It is checked, but the status is "stopped".

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I'm pretty sure that I had the same problem. The registry gets messed up and the print spooler service will not stay running. Here's what I used to solve the problem:

http://members.shaw....nterDrivers.htm

edit....right click on the spooler service and see if it starts. If it starts try installing the printer. If you have any problems, check the service, if it stopped, then you'll have to follow the instructions on that web page above.

Edited by macten, 19 October 2006 - 07:50 PM.

bstock123

bstock123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I had found that particular website in my previous web searches. I followed the instructions, including the special instructions for Lexmark printers, and it did not work.

For what it's worth, I happened to be at a Best Buy this evening and mentioned my issue (as best as I could verbalize it) to a computer repair guy. He said it sounded like I'd have to do a system restore. I really hope not!

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
well....system restore is a whole lot easier than whats on that web page. let us know if the system restore works. I know someone who formatted and re-installed everything over this same issue.....

bstock123

bstock123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I don't even know how to do system restore. That means everything I've put on the computer since I bought it would be gone, correct? So if I try that, I should save any photos or work documents that are important? Also, this would not be a guarantee that it works?

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Actually, you shouldn't loose any of your photos or documents but I would back them all up to be on the safe side. The easiest backup is to just copy and paste the folders where you store everything onto a cd or flashdrive.

As to system restore....go to start, then 'help and support'. At the top you will see system restore. Click on it and then 'restore my computer to an earlier time'. click 'next'. then select a restore point before the problem started happening and follow the instructions....

if you don't see system restore in the top menu, its down below somewhere...

bstock123

bstock123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay...cannot try the System Restore option. Unbeknownst to me, system restore was not turned on for all drives. There are no check points to restore back to.

Any other suggestions?

bstock123

bstock123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Also, I was getting "system restore" mixed up with a full reformat of Windows XP. That is the thing I'm hoping to avoid, as I have a lot of stuff on the computer (and also don't begin to know where my startup disc is). So if anyone has encountered this problem and has a solution, I'd really appreciate it.

lizglass

lizglass

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Hi,guys:

I have got exactly the same problemafter I made a mistake and deleted the LexBce Server line on my Hijackthis log. I just restored the line that was on backup through HJT and the whole printer page was restored. Have you been tweaking with HJT recently? :whistling:

Cheers,

lizglass

Edited by lizglass, 27 October 2006 - 06:31 AM.

RUSSIAN

RUSSIAN

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having this same problem on a new laptop, runnining through a home network. the desktop I have has been having a few issues, so I was forced to restore it, since then, the laptop gets the print spooler error. I have reinstalled the printer on both computers and checked the spooler in system config on both computers. the printer is working fine on the desktop.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Chris