Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Ghost ?

• Please log in to reply

duley3

duley3

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I just have a quick question about Norton Ghost and Windows system restore/Recovery.

So here it is... I have 2 internal hard drives (C and G) One I use for the Norton Ghost backups (g). I happen to notice the the Windows system restore/recovery was moniroring both hard drives. Should this be this way? Or should I turn off the monitoring for the backup drive?

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
It really doesn't matter if the system restore is monitoring the backup drive if there is no operating system on it. System restore does not restore data (like Norton ghost or Acronis True Image) it merely restores the settings for that drive (mainly the OS settings)

--Chris

PS. I prefer acronis true image to ghost, but thats just me, and I dont use incremental backups and monitoring (which Acronis doesn't offer).

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
System Restore insists on monitoring every hard drive it can get its hands on by default. It doesn't matter, assuming you're be ghosting to the second drive, since it'll get overwritten anyway by Ghost.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Okay, Thats is kinda what I was thinking. But I thought I better ask just to make sure.

PS. I prefer acronis true image to ghost

I haven't tried Acronis. Norton came FREE with the new system I bought.. I know free is not always better. But it is when you are broke.. :whistling:

Anyway thanks for the help.......Again......

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

I know free is not always better. But it is when you are broke..

Amen to that!

--Chris