Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows system32 folder

• Please log in to reply

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
system32, windows vital system folder, which folds all the [bleep]ing files i want to edit.

i have replaced shell32.dll and explorer.exe, modifiing them, can i change the whole system32 folder? or some files at least? could i?

-OCM770- :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
uh....to do what? i'm sure you could change anything you want...it's a matter of getting the desired result...what exactly are you wanting to accomplish?

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Hey dsnette, thanks for the quick reply,

i want to acomplish this simple thing: cahnge the windows' Edit: just because you spelled it wrong doesn't make it less offensive language!

I have modified succesfully explorer.exe and shell32.dll with reshacker to change there string table, dialogs and menus succesfully, but there is still some stuff in spanish, can i change the whole system32 folder and still have xp working and activated, with no problem?

P.S. activation is not really a problem its just time.

BY THE WAY. *IMPORTANT* MY XP ACTIVATION KEY ON THE SIDE OF THE COMPUTER IS NOT WHAT IT IS ON THE MACHINE ITSELF AFTER I REINSTALLED WINDOWS! AND THE ONE PASTED ON THE SIDE OF THE MACHINE WON'T WORK, WHATS GOING ON??

-OCM770-

Edited by dsenette, 20 October 2006 - 06:23 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
changing the system language is rellatively easy...you generally can go to the regional settins in control panell and change all of the language settings..there is a transformation for windows called the windows MUI for changing the User interface

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Changing the language preference is easy, like dsennette pointed out. I don't reccomend anyone go monkeying around in protected system files without really knowing what they are doing. You can break Windows.

Where did you get your XP cd, and is it the one that is "attached" to your machine? It's important to have a valid copy of XP or you won't be able to activate, receive updates etc etc
Johanna

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
I know MUI and i know it does not work on XP Home, which is what i am using. I'll leave the system alone, your right it is pretty risky.

Johanna: i bought a compaq presario SR1020LA, xp home and i never worried about the key, but then an idiot friend of mine installed a pirated xp pro and i had to reformat to get xp home back, it automatically activated and registered the key, but when using CD Reader or any other program to view the key it was not what it was on the sticker on the side of the computer, i deactivated and tried the key on the side and it did not work, i just reactivated on the registry and left it alone, what is going on? i have OEM xp home