Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows explorer problem

• Please log in to reply

washout

washout

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
i have about 15,000 mp3 files in a folder C:\Music.
nothing else is in this directory but mp3's, half of which have id3 tags only.
windows explorer opens byd efault to my documents.
all i do is expand c:\, and click the Music directory.
it just freezes up, i have to end the window, where its not responding, and let the system fix it.
rebooting does not help.
i think it may be due to the amount of files, apparently,a nd since im always adding to this directory.
but i have never had this problem before.

here is my system information.
operating system = xp, sp2.
cpu = pentium 2.6 ghz.
ram = 512mb.

any ideas on how to diagnose/fix this problem ??
i have plenty of time and patience.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Windows XP Explorer has a 'feature' to provide a preview in the Details box on the left of the file you have selected, if itís supported. Image files, HTML pages, video clips, MP3s, etc are all previewed (even with the folder view open).

If you have a large movie clip and it either is corrupt (ie. no index from a partial download) or it uses an unsupported codec, then Explorer tries to load the whole file. This can slow your computer a lot and prevent deleting/renaming/moving/etc the file until itís finished.

Simply do the following:
  • Go to START-->RUN and type regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll and hit ENTER.
  • A window will pop up saying that the file has been unregistered successfully. (If you don't receive this window, or the window gives an error, then please post that in your reply.)
  • Reboot your computer and see if the problem persists.
Fenor

washout

washout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
DllUnregisterServer in shmedia.dll succeeded.
rebooted, no luck.

washout

washout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
so i figured out what regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll does.
it turns off windows explorer's ability to "show media", file attributes, on file hover and in the details columns in explorer's details view.
i can see how this would lighten the load on viewing a folder with tons of files, most with details to show.
after i turned it on, it see didnt work.
so i did some research and turned it back on, regsvr32 shmedia.dll.
still need to find out why explorer freezes when directed to this file ??