Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winamp, shoutcast, and peerguardian2

• Please log in to reply

bradstacey

bradstacey

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I use winamps Shoutcast Radio feature all the time, because alot of my work is done on the computer and I can listen to the unique program. I also use PeerGuardian 2 to keep unwanted contact from my pc.
Some of the stations I listen to do not register any contact at all, neither allowed or blocked. Other stations register black-listed ips, those ips are often known for spyware distribution or come from hosts with questionable practices.
My computer has recently been registering crazy amounts of Trojan Agents despite Spyware Blaster, Spybot SnD teatimer, AdAware, AVG Internet Security, and using Firefox with many of the security-oriented extensions.
So I’m left wondering if connecting to Shoutcast opens a pathway for these Servers to drop spyware.
Zero of my websearches have produced any relevant results for me. Does anyone have any insight to this issue?
-Brad

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Peerguardian blocks sites for a number of reasons one of the fewest of the lesser reasons is spyware however peerguardian lists arent very accurate they arent checked very often and if a server changes hands it doesnt matter it still blocks them. Its not an effective firewall at all it wasnt designed to prevent infections it was designed to protect people when they use illegal peer sharing systems first and foremost still is.

I would reccomend you visit our malware section and get yourself cleaned up and maybe get a proper firewall.

bradstacey

bradstacey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for the speedy reply, warriorscot. I think our work LAN does have a firewall and router. The majority of my question pertains to Winamp and Shoutcast, and the possibility of those bypassing the security that is in place.

bradstacey

bradstacey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
anyone know anything about this at all? why do some stations need to connect to my computer and some not?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Some require liscence or location information and some collect usage data, shoutwire channels are are all legal official and heavilly used they wont get you infected, if your malware infections persist please visit our malware section they can disinfect you and help find the cause of infection.

bradstacey

bradstacey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
good info, thank yas.