Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclock

• Please log in to reply

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
I thought of buying RAM a long time ago, i might do it now that i need it, cuz i DO need it right?

-OCM770-

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
InSpecs doesn't seem to load, its been "Initalizing for an hour or so by now and i just closed it, could it be i am using firefox or i am on 56kbps? I'll try on IE6

-OCM770-

*edit* ok i got better luck on IE and on the firefox extension to run IE INSIDE firefox :whistling:

System Info
Model : Compaq Presario 061 DW283A-ABM SR1020L LA510
Chassis Type : Desktop
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)

Processor
Number Of Processors : 1
Type : Intel Pentium 4 2600 MHz
Processors Bus Speed : 400 MHz

Motherboard
Manufacturer : MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
Model : Gamila/Giovani/Neon series Rev. 030
CPU Slot/Socket Type : mPGA-478
Chipset Vendor : Intel i845G Rev. B1
Bios Manufacturer : Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Bios Version : 3.10

Graphics
Model : Intel ONBOARD 82845G/GL/GV/GE
ONBOARD Speed : Not Available
Monitor : Monitor Plug and Play

Storage
Hard Drive 1 : SAMSUNG SP0802N
Size : 76.35 GB

Memory
Total RAM Installed : 256 MB
Type : DDR DIMM PC3200
Used RAM Slots: 1 of 2

Accessories
USB Version : 2.0
*edit*

Edited by -OCM770-, 26 October 2006 - 04:02 PM.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
And here is the processor info.

System Info

Processor

Number Of Processors : 1
Type : Intel Pentium 4 2600 MHz
Package : mPGA-478
Manufacturer Codename : Northwood
Clock Speed : 2600 MHz
Clock Multiplier : 26.0
Front Side Bus (FSB) Speed : 400 MHz
L2 Cache Size : 512 KBytes Stepping : D1
Trace Width : 0.13
Microcode : 21h
Instruction Sets : MMX, SSE, SSE2

-OCM770-

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
YA did great on the inspecs. That proved that your processor IS running at 400FSB as it should be, pitstop showed it at 100 which couldn't be right since it clocked your CPU at 2600. I see why since the multiplier is 26.
Did ya download and do those cleaners yet from downloads.com? Reason I'm concerned is your CPU score on pcpitstop was rather poor. You got parasites slowing you down. With your CPU clocked at 2600MHz and FSB of 400 plus a cache of 512 and RAM speed of 400, you should have scored higher than me, NOT HALF, my clocked speed was 2300 and FSB of 133 with a cache of 256.
You have an excellent processor, even at minimum speed of 2600 it would really shine with more RAM. I already posted the reviews about your CPU being able to clock 25% higher but without RAM it's worthless. Sorry to say that. INSPECS says you are running a 256 stick of PC3200 and MSI says it should use PC2700, doesn't matter, at those speeds you just need more of it. REMEMBER RAM IS THE DANCE FLOOR! You gotta have the size for your processor to utilize its speed. Probably why mine scored so high was the gig of pc133 RAM. Notice early on was a report on mine that said it could only use 2 sticks of 256 but that went away after the flash. Inspecs IDed your PC good Nailed your BIOS version 6.0PG 3.10 the newest is 3.15. also it confirmed my guess about your north bridge chip being i845GE correct as
"Intel ONBOARD 82845G/GL/GV/GE" and we finally got your board rev number.
FOR now download each cleaner one at a time then run it twice in a row. Before doing the next, Reason being, until you know what to keep, they will remove each other. You have to install them, update them, and run them twice in a row. Don't forget two parts to CCLEANER (clean and scan/fix issues), EIGHT of them, for your first time when they ask to make a registry backup go ahead and do them. (I never do, they are a waste of space and time) but if you don't like the change you can undo it with their restores (check things right after each one), but xp has restore anyway. Then "system tools" "disk cleanup" once then "defrag" three times. Until you have more RAM that is as good as you will notice.
I buy RAM off ebay, unlike processors that are rarely good from ebay, RAM is nearly always good. DO NOT GET "REGISTERED", "PARITY", "ECC" YOU MUST GET "NON ECC" Can be identified by even number of chips is non ECC, odd number of chips is ECC. You can mix brands and PC2700 with PC3200 otherwords 400 and 533. Ideally you should get two sticks of 512mb, but just one 512mb will make a heck of a difference, don't waste your money on one more 256mb, doesn't cost much more to get twice as much, just add the 512 to the 256mb but put the 512 in slot 1 and 256 in slot 2 (no reason just a superstition). Kingston and Crucial brands are lifetime warranty anyway, Legacy, Infineon, Add-On, Talent, they are all good and have mixed well. They are very simple to install, be sure to latch the white clips all the way in and notice the notch.
It looks like you should have CPU clocking in BIOS, (BUS speed and Multiplier) perhaps there is a jen jumper on the board. We'll get to that later. With the motherboard identified we can do it with software now if you have to. Don't worry about it until you have RAM! You saw my pitstop scores, If you want to trade boards, Processors, and RAM right now, I'd be happy to. Your's has alot more potential. Kid, you did good overcoming your problem with inspecs! :whistling:

Edited by crunch, 26 October 2006 - 10:54 PM.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Will do (buy more RAM and download the cleaners) and CPU COOL has my motherboard listed (MS-6577) and it offers to set the FSB to a certain frecuency and it has some other stuff on there which i don't understand.... what should i do after i buy more RAM, and i thought i could only get 2 same RAM chips (2 256mb, 2 512mb, etc.) and not one 256 and one 512... so what should i get??

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Mexico's compaq web page has the latest bios for MS-6577 listed as version 3.25 not 3.15 i am downloading it now, should i install it? or will it just be locked like the one now? besides i DO need and update for i have an ipod and when i leave it hooked up the computer won't start, i believe that is "ipod issues"

-OCM770-

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
:blink: :help: Great Kid! You are catching on fast. Now calm down.
1. you've done all the cleaning you can. RIGHT?
2. defragged. RIGHT?
3. Tried the two previous mentioned methods of clocking in BIOS (there were 2 because I found 2 versions
of BIOS) and neither worked because your CLOCK, HOST, BUS, MULTIPLIER were all in light grey
meaning that you were unable to click ON them nor change them. RIGHT?
4.You have absolutely found Compaq BIOS for MS-6577 and the instructions were identicle to to ones I
posted? RIGHT? That means they are "LIVE" BIOS, very easy to do. If you found a version that
requires the use of floppys (WE MUST COMMUNCATE FIRST). So I can guide you through getting a boot
image elsewhere and using command prompt then converting to MSI BIOS the way I did. (old fashioned
method, I've done both) if the "live instructions don't match ones I already posted, let me get you full set
of alternate method.
5. Flashing is nearly always a GOOD thing to do, as you must have found it resolves many problems
including several other problems that were fixed in previous flashes that you missed out on by still
having 3.10 version. That latest flash includes all previous fixes but doesn't mention them.
6. DO THE FLASH!!!!!!
7. They may or may not enable clocking, they have many times. In this test board it increased clocking
options, on ASUS they increase CPU size features.
8. Regaurdless, You need MORE RAM no problem mixing 256mb with 512mb, nor is there a problem
mixing PC2700 with PC3200 on your board. if your budget is limited, get one stick PC2700 512mb CL2.5
NON ECC and add it . Other wise get two PC2700 512mb cl2.5 non ECC. MSI says your RAM speed
max is PC2700 (400) so you don't need PC3200. By the way it will even run on PC2100 if you can come
up with one to try for test results, at little or no expense.

HEY, would you copy and paste the flashing instructions you have found so I can check them before you flash. And top description of the flash you found. I want to see that it all matches your motherboard.

If the flash doesn't help you reset the the clock speed, it needs a jumper change on the motherboard. lets skip the jumper and do the CPUcool , I confirmed your CYPRESS clocking chip there and saw there were many that overclocked your PCI speed too much. When you get that far I will help you there. I ran the calculator on the formulas and come up with CPU speeds safe around 2.8GHz and PCI safe at 37, then some tweaks above that, but we want to watch temperatures from there on. Otherwise you will need to increase cooling. :whistling:

Edited by crunch, 28 October 2006 - 11:40 AM.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
sure, i have done the cleaning with CCleaner and Ad-Aware both updated, i defraged twice because for some odd reason it says it can not complete at about 76% or maybe a little higher, anyway i'll get the link for the page in spanish and you can use this page to translate it: www.babelfish.altavista.com
it's a nice translator, just so you know, my DVD drive just quit working, for some odd reason it keeps opening up and doesn't read a disk... anyway i also updated all my drivers for the modem (agere PCI soft modem) and Intel ® Extreme Graphics, i am going to update my sound driver (Realtek AC97) and i have also got the dupdate for the BIOS, all these drivers and updates are from the compaq web page, and have all worked succesfully, I'll buy the RAM soon, probably a 512 stick.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Compaq Mexico MS-6577 BIOS update here's the web link for the BIOS. v.3.25

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
I you download it and run it, and read the instructions they are the same ones as you posted, so it is a live BIOS update, should i go ahead and install it?

-OCM770-

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Sorry for triple posting but i kind of prefered this to editing my last post :help:

Anyway, i went ahead with the flashing and it finished succesfully, and it is still locked, the options for the processor are greyed out.

We might have a problem, the board you found was MS-6577 v3.1 mine is MS-6577 v4.1 i looked through the vent on the computer.... should of done that in the first place :whistling: :blink: . so next step is buy more RAM and then how do i overclock?

-OCM770-

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
:blink: You did fine with the BIOS! You gained there no matter what (ie max CPU speed). Using the identicle board number with newer revision model may have more fixes than you needed but since you still have sound, internet , and video, the rest can only get better. I flashed backwards once and learned what "S,L,V" stand for when you take a BIOS without SLV, you lose sound, LAN, and Video after POST but if it's from the identicle board number,and BIOS chip 6.0PG it will still function enough to redo :help: you flashed forward so no harm done.. I'll check into differences if any, but they were same chips anyway.
Ok, since you are going to stay out of it till you get some RAM for it. Go ahead with the "CPUCOOL" get it from "major geeks" version 7.3.8. Download top one then run. reboot open it's just a blue and white folder on your desktop. When you download and run, check box for desktop icon but DO NOT check box to auto start with widows" reason being if you go to far and it will not boot to desktop, you're screwed! Well not really, we can fix it but why go there? You just got to activate each time till confident to change to premanent. When you get in side some day use a magnifying glass and flashlight and read everything on the motherboard ,some is difficult with refections so you must shine from alternate directions, "jen jumper" code will be in one place with jp number (I think 6) "jen jumper" in onother. On several boards made now the three prongs for the two connector jumper have been altered so two pins have little bar soldered to them that has to be cut between the one-two pins and new connection made from the two-three pins. Yours is old enough to not have that. Most jen jumpers are around the BIOS chip that says pheonix (square) or up along the RAM. This MSI test board had a jen jumper by RAM on CPU side above the cypress clocking IC chip that is near this silver (metal) 1/2 inch long by 3/16 " wide and nearly 1/4 inch high Crystal with a 14.3 on it. Your Cypress chip will have a symbol of a windblown tree and three numbers (main one is cy28349) if it has a "A", "B", or "H" after it don't worry those can work or not but can't hurt it. Others can.
Open the blue/white file, check functions tab at top, Tab down to "change front side BUS" >enter. Then be sure to enter brand "MSI" the board model "ms-6577" then next confirm chip info. DO NOT CHANGE THEM! Then on the "Frequency to set " use the up and down arrows. GO TO "FSB : 108.0 MHz PCI : 36.0 MHz" no higher yet. DO NOT "GET FREQUENCY", "FINE TUNE", "GET PLL OUTPUT" don't mess with locked loop at all. Just play at that speed. Do pcpitstop and checkout yor cpu score, run 30 minutes hard then shut down and immediatly restart and go in BIOS and check hardware monitor temps" Don't trust CPUcool's monitor. Also in BIOS besure shutdowns are set to 'enable', and lowest possible temperatures. the 108 FSB gives you 2.808GHz and very safe 36 PCI bus. Everything should befine at that. Although with out RAM you still won't see much difference except a little in CPU Score. Odd how RAM will increase your CPU score there and overclocking will greatly increase your RAM speed score there. BUT RAM IS THE PLAYGROUND YOUR CPU HAS TO WORK WITH! Next higher should still work but not until you maintain safe temperature since @ 114 your CPU would be 2.964GHz (fine for CPU) but dangerous PCI of 38. Case off and added fans blowing on mainboard chips and Graphics card and RAM stick. You would need three extra fans and feel with back of finger to RAM, onboard controller chips (i845), and graphics chip on graphics card if you use a VGA graphics card. This is your ultimate best prformance setting that it should run if your CPU cooler is adequate plus extra fans. (FSB : 126.0 MHz PCI : 31.5 MHz) The good thing about this one is the reduction of PCI, do not try other FSBs below that, that have PCI above 38. This will be a CPU speed of 3.278GHz, with the new BIOS it should run at that speed and the forums about your northwood CPU claim it can do that and remain cool enough to remain stable. DON"T DO IT UNTIL YOU HAVE MORE RAM and FANS. It's foolish to push a CPU like that without RAM for it to work with. :whistling: HOLD OFF ON THOSE FINAL TWEAKS TIL RAM, FANS, AND MY OPINION OF TEMPS YOU COME UP WITH, OK!

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
let me get this straight... Open CPU Cool, got to inccrease FSB under functions then select MSI and MS-6577, then select 108.0MHz PCI:36.0MHz, ok i got to that already, then what... should i click ste frecuency and reboot? because when i installed CPU Cool i believe i set it to start with windows, then i disabled it from MSCONFIG, is this ok?

And, can i set that frecuency without installing more RAM?

-OCM770-

Edited by -OCM770-, 30 October 2006 - 05:17 PM.

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
ALRIGHT>>>>>>>>>>>>>
let me get this straight... Open CPU Cool, got to inccrease FSB under functions then select MSI and MS-6577, then select 108.0MHz PCI:36.0MHz, ok i got to that already, then what... should i click ste frecuency and reboot? because when i installed CPU Cool i believe i set it to start with windows, then i disabled it from MSCONFIG, is this ok?

And, can i set that frecuency without installing more RAM?

YEP you got it, you select that frenquency (NO HIGHER, until you watch temperatures after trial) THE next thing after displaying that frequency is ,click "set Frenquency" then it will ask again "if you want to do it" click "OK" It should show a new higher CPU speed just to the left of that pop-up, where it says current frequency. Then one of five things will happen. YOU WON'T NEED TO REBOOT for it to happen!!!

1. best thing is it will show around 2808MHz and your mouse will still move. In that case click ok in the upper right. then in next pop-up click "go to tray" then click "OK" . Then you will see temps by your time, they will be in celcius, click em and change their display to Fairenheit if you want. Then test at pcpitstop.
2. Next best is it will have a much lower effect or negative effect, YET everything still works. Then you can undo it or try the top recommended one from me that had a low PCI speed.
3. Getting bad now is it will show higher CPU but mouse is froze, You must reboot, and hope you haven't saved that setting and made it startup with it on everytime yet. Then select lower setting.
4. Worse yet, It will reboot automatically but running without RAM useage be incredible slow and hang. Disable it if you can then reboot or just reboot and when you manually shut-off and reboot it will return to nomal, (if you haven't activated start with windows)
5. Wipe out!!! BLACK SCREEN!!! Been there, it'll scare ya but it's OK. Best to unplug so it wipes out the running programs, Anyway get it turned off, then try again with much lower setting and work your way up.

if you need to, uninstall and reinstall to remove "start at start up".

Yes, I played with these with only a stick of 256 RAM. I did get higher speeds but was not as impressed as slower PCs with more RAM. I played a DVD movie and downloaded several programs from (downloads.com) for testing, The RAM makes a big difference to me. According to several PC site's recommendations, 256 is minimum adequate but so is 1.0GHz processors. So if you think you need more than 2.6GHz at 512 cache CPU "you deffinantly better have more than 512mb RAM". Although if you are doing this because you have noticed that you PC is slow, you should post with the "Malware team" here at geekstogo, and do more cleaning and tweaking, AND DEFINANTLY GET YOUR HARDDRIVE DEFRAGGED ALL THE WAY THREE TIMES!!! also run scan disk with repair before defragging from system tools. And also use your XP install CD to do a repair/reinstall by going through "press enter" , F8, press "R" there's more than one way on the CD, use the one that doesn't require a backup/restore CD. before you start the repair/reinstall be sure you have your XP key. If not I'll send ya the key finder. The repair won't lose any programs or change your desktop and icons.
:whistling:

Edited by crunch, 31 October 2006 - 11:23 AM.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Ok, what frecuency do i have to set it to to get 2.6Ghz back on there? I'm going to reboot and try, wish me good luck :blink:

-OCM770-

P.S. if this doesn't work then I shall take justice into my hands like this: :whistling:

Edited by -OCM770-, 31 October 2006 - 12:42 PM.