Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DB9

• Please log in to reply

K. Prophett

K. Prophett

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I just installed Windows XP Professional and I have an old laptop. Unfourtunately the laptop doesn't have a Ethernet port on it. So what I have is a 9 Pin DB 9 connector. Its connected to my laptop and I was wondering what type of Cat5 cable will connect my laptop to the internet. A rollover, straight through, or a cross over. I am connecting the wire to a wall jack that is in my dorm room. But I'm not even sure if I can use the DB9. So someone please inform me.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Is USB to ethernet an option? Even USB1.1 is fast enough for most american broadband.

K. Prophett

K. Prophett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
there is only the wall jack for an RJ45 and my laptop doesnt have the Ethernet jack. But i was thinking that I would have to buy a USB Ethernet port for it. That should work right?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
It *should work*, although I wouldn't recommend it. A straight cable will do fine, the only use of a crossover is for machine to machine.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
To answer your original question: I have never used DB9 as a network connection, I have never heard of anyone using DB9 as a network connection, I couldnt find any MS articles for using DB9 as a netowrk connection, and lastly i couldn't find anything on google of rusing db9 as a network connection.... also.... I couldnt find any type of adapters that go from db9 to ethernet (which is what you would have to use since the wallplate is cat5 ethernet)... so it is safe to say that, that route isn't going to work.

What other type of ports do you have on the laptop?

If you have PCMIA ports like this:
pcmia.JPG

you could use one of these adapters:

If you have USB slots like this:
usb.JPG

You could use one of these adapters:

Hope this helps a little more?