Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound problem after replacing CD-RW drive

• Please log in to reply

Lnr83

Lnr83

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Dell Precision 530 with Windows 2000 Professional.

Started having trouble with CD-RW drive while I was trying to burn a music CD with Nero.
The drive starting hanging.
Tried unistalling it via Add/Remove Hardware, and then rebooting - didn't work.
Called Dell, the technician ran it through a few drills including booting from the diagnositics disk.
He confirmed what I thought - dead cd-rw drive.

So I replaced it with a Sony cd-rw CRX230AE.
I first tested it with data. I can write to it and read from it.
Works much faster than the old one did.

But have somehow lost all sound on my computer.
Not sure if this is due to replacing the drive or if something about my sound went out at the
same time the drive got trashed.

Via Add/Remove Hardware, I have tried uninstalling the system speaker and sb live, rebooted, both were recognized and trouble shooting through Add/Remove Hardware says both are working.

Also, when I try to play a music cd or a wav file on my hard disk, the equalizer display in Nero
looks like the music is playing, but no sound can be heard.

I can hear my key strokes so I've ruled out my ears. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Lnr

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I always start with the software controls and make sure that nothing is muted. Double click on the speaker in the lower right hand corner and check. Also go into control panel, then sounds and check there also. You may have already done this but I always start at the bottom....

edit....after or before that, I check to make sure everything is firmly plugged in.

edit again....go into control panel and into sounds. On the sounds tab, under sound event, highlite 'asterisk' and then click on that 'right arrow' (to the left of browse). Do you hear anything?

Edited by macten, 19 October 2006 - 08:24 PM.

Lnr83

Lnr83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I looked at the volume controls and none of them were muted.
I checked the option "1 Digitial Output Only" in the advanced section of Volume Play Control just to see if it would make a difference. It didn't. So I unchecked it to set it back to its original setting.

Double checked and found all wires in back of pc are plugged in and secure.
Same is true for the desktop speakers.

I tried to hear the asterisk in the sounds tab event listing and it made no sound.

Through the control panel I have checked all sound and media audio and hardware components to make sure that they were working and found no conflicts nor problems.

Thanks for you thoughts.

Lnr

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I think I would completely uninstall that sound card and re-install with the latest drivers.

Here's a utility called Everest that will id that sound card. Download it to the desktop and double click on it to install it.

http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html

It sounds like you are using a Sound Blaster product. Here is a page on how they uninstall it:

http://www.soundblas...d...53881&cat=2

Here's a page where you can download the latest driver:

http://us.creative.c...port/downloads/

I'll take a closer look at their uninstall page and post back here if I see anything 'unusuall'...

edit....at the bottom of the uninstall page, you'll see how to install it. Skip the hardware part and scroll to the bottom on how to install the software.

If it doesn't work, I would uninstall again and pull the card out and re-seat it. Some times a small bit of oxidation builds up on the 'tabs' and causes the card not to work. By re-seating the card you break down that oxidation for better contact.

Your speakers could be dead. It happened to a friend of mine awhile back. I re-installed the software/drivers and it still wouldn't work. I connected my speakers and they worked.

If all of the above fail to produce sound then I would suspect a bad sound card. Replacing the sound card is a last resort....

Edited by macten, 20 October 2006 - 12:56 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can't hear the sound on audio cd's either? but when you have a cd in there...you can see the nero EQ moving?

all cd drives have an audio cable with them too (if you've got two cdrom drives you may only need one drive hooked up with audio) make sure that audio cable is plugged in inside the pc