Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound

• Please log in to reply

ltd

ltd

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

:help:

I had to reinstall window xp on my pc as I had some errors on the pc.The problem is all the drivers that came with the pc have been lost.

Everyhting works ok except I have no sound. When I checked in device manager next to multimedia audio controller, raid controller and video controller (VGA compatiable ) all have explanation marks next to them.

under sound, video and game resources it says audio codecs, legacy audio drivers, legacy video capture devices, media control devices, standard game port, video codecs - are all working properly.

:whistling:

Im not sure what sound card is installed as its a custom pc and I dont know that much about computers, thus far to find the info above I had help. :blink:

Hope someone can help, its kinda depressing a pc with no sound !

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi ltd...

Download, install, and run Everest on the machine. It will give you all your hardware information.

wannabe1

ltd

ltd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

Thanks for replying so quickly, I download and ran everest but im not sure what i need to be looking for.. Or infact wat Im supposed to do with the info once i have it.

Although I did find this under audio VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller and under the windows audio it is blank.

Not sure if that helps u to help me

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi there,

Do you know the spec of your motherboard? - you already said it was a via which is intel. you also gave some clues with the ac'97 bit also....

Shouldn't be too hard to sort this to be honest. At worst, we'd have to ask you to open the case withg the machine turned off so that you can read the serial no from the board (easy - honest, not asking you to touch anything!!)

Don't worry we'll get it right for you

Stevie

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In the Everest window's left pane, expand "Motherboard". From the expanded list, click on "Motherboard". In the upper right pane, What is displayed next to "Motherboard Name"?

ltd

ltd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
motherboard name = unknown

I also found this I dont know if it helps any :whistling:

Motherboard: CPU Type - AMD Athlon XP, 2166 MHz (13 x 167) 2700+
Motherboard Name - Unknown
Motherboard Chipset - VIA UniChrome KM26
Motherboard- DMIMOBO: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

I also had a look under DMI and i found this
manufacturer Gigabtye technology
product 7VM400AM-RZ
version x.x

no idea wat any of that means but....

Edited by ltd, 19 October 2006 - 08:52 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sweet... :whistling:

Let's see if Device Manager will give us any information. Right click on each device with an exclamation point by it and choose "Properties". Is there any additional information on the device?

Do you have all the cd's that should have come with your computer when you purchased or built it?

Edited by wannabe1, 19 October 2006 - 08:49 PM.

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hey,

Always going to be a drawback of benchmarking apps. Not always able to read all hardware.

I'm sure Wannabe has more suggestions prior to my (opening the box) reading numbers idea (think perhaps i'm old school?)

Anyhoo, good luck chaps. I know opening the box is a last resort, especially for the technophobe in us all. I have always hated this side of things but was forced into it a year ago when my job demanded that i take onboard this aspect - ya know once you get in there - it's not such a scary place!!!

Stevie

ltd

ltd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
sorry guys I edited my post up there ^^ with more info i found in everest not that i know if it helps, but to answer your question im in device manager and this is what is says for

multimedia audio controller , raid and also the video controller

Device provider - unknown
driver date - not available
driver version - not available

the motherboard id came up in the everest motherboard thingy :$

do u want that ? would it help ?

Edited by ltd, 19 October 2006 - 09:07 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Didn't see the edit...that'll help, I think.

Go to the Gigabyte Website and have the scanner analyze your machine for what drivers you need...see what it tells you to install.

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hiya,

What we really need is the motherboard serial no - and as wannabe is trying the software route (quite righly so) I'll butt out on the hardware side at least til he's done.

Don't panic re your drivers regardless. It is not gonna be a problem to get these back for you. I DO understand that it can seem like the end of the world sometimes.....

You're sorted - you just don't know it yet!!!

Stevie

ltd

ltd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:blink:

Thank you thank you thank you and my kids thank you !

We now have sound on my pc. I downloaded all the drviers gigabyte said I needed and as soon as I rebooted we had all everything working.

Thanks again ! :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are very welcome! :whistling: