Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Paging File Problem

• Please log in to reply

sleepkid

sleepkid

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Running: Windows XP SP2, 1GB of Ram, Athlon 64 3200+ 2.00GHz

In just the last day or two, when booting up I'm getting the message that my system has no paging file or that the paging file is too small. Occasionally I don't receive the message, but the system hangs at the "welcome" screen. But by hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del to get into the Task Manager when this happens, the system continues to boot as normal. Once the system boots up it runs fine, with no problems.

I've gone through the steps to address this. Namely:

Start Menu - Right Click My Computer - Properties - Advanced - Performance - Advanced - Virtual Memory - Change

I've adjusted the settings to both customized with an initial size of 1533MB and a maximum of 4000MB (the recommended size is 1533 for my system) - I've also tried setting it to system managed. However, even after clicking SET, and OK, and the rebooting for the change to take effect, I get the same paging file error when booting up.

I haven't done anything to my system in the last three weeks (installed new software, hardware, etc.) which would bring about this error as far as I know. My Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware programs haven't reported any problems, and drive space for the paging file doesn't seem to be an issue (9 free gigs on the root partition, 56 free gigs on the storage partition - did try setting the paging file up on the storage partition, but same result as above).

Any suggestions? Your help is appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres a microsoft article on the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315270

also this fro the elder geek.

http://www.theelderg...paging_file.htm

SRX660