Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstaller for Look2Me? [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

garfluver

garfluver

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi!

Been working with you ("Geeks") to remove window/system32/AmCTRES.cpy.dll file from my computer.

Found this website: http://www.look2me.c...bin/UnInstaller

Is this for real? Or will it just add more junk and I should stay clear of it??

Also...I just bought a new DELL, and the Windows XP was installed on my computer for me. I was given an "Operating System" CD that says Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Professional Including Service Pack 1a...is this the disk I use if I try to do the "Recovery Console" to try to get C:/Windows>prompt to delete the nasty AmCTRES.cpy.dll file manually?

Thanks,
Garfluver

Advertisements

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
It's junk. If you have Spyware Blaster installed on your system, it would not allow you to download this malware, along with almost all other trashware. Legit, specialized junkware removers are found on this page:

http://www.spywarein.../downloads.html

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
STAY AWAY from this uninstaller. It's been proven to hide it even further and also add more files to your computer, their intent is still unknown.

is this the disk I use if I try to do the "Recovery Console

Yup.

garfluver

garfluver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Thanks for the warning...that's why I was checking...figured it was too easy and too good to be true...that you could just uninstall! :D

I do have a "new" problem...when my daughter was signing into her hotmail account this is what came up

http://sea1fd.sea1.h...d962e32&fti=yes

changed from this: http://login.passpor...ilogin.srf?id=2 to the above

Is this more of the same problem from AmCTRES?

Think I'm going to try the C:/Windows>prompt to delete those files... AmCTRES
and it's cpy.dll <_<

Is it advisable to do this in safe mode? or just follow your previous instructions from May 3rd?

Thanks again!
Garfluver

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sorry, won't work to delete from the Windows command prompt.

Here's a new fix I just recently found:
http://download.broa...terInternet.exe

Run it three times in a row.

garfluver

garfluver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I tried to run broadbandmedic.com....and started out great. The computer rebooted itself, got back to the desktop...and then...nothing. (well, except for my McAfee Security password sign on window that comes up after each reboot) Am I correct in assuming that's what's causing OE2.BetterInternet to not restart? Is there a way to disable the McAfee thing temporarily? and then how would I enable it again?

Tell me what I need to do...in "novice" terms. <_< please!

Thanks,
Garfluver :D

Here's a copy of what did come up from step 1:

Files Found---
C:/WINDOWS/System32/AmCTRES.cpy.dll
C:/WINDOWS/System32/AmCTRES.dll

Guardian Key---
Asynchronous 000
DllName C:/WINDOWS/system32/AmCTRES.DLL
Impersonate 000
Logon WinLogon
Version 122
ID{3E86D605-029C-43F8-B2FC-7A2F6BDD76EF}
IDex DS3

User Agent String---
{3E86D605-029C-43F8-B2FC-7A2F6BDD76EF}

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sorry this fix is very new so I don't know much about it. It comes from a very reputible source, so I'm sure it's safe. <_<

Did you run it three times? Are you able to get back to the desktop? If not, try safe mode (to enter safe mode tap the F8 key while the computer is starting. Select Safe Mode from the menu).

garfluver

garfluver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I think we (well you) :D did it!!! :P

I removed my McAfee then tried the OE2. BetterInternet.exe again, and it seems to have worked!!

It did got a little scary though...after the 2nd reboot, my screen went blue...then got a message {Fatal System Error} and that the Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly and that the system had been shut down!!! After getting a sickening feeling in my stomach <_< I unplugged the computer...and turned it back on. Then the OE2.BetterInternet.exe came on again for the 3rd time. (Although I was panicked of what would happen... I did do the final 'Fix'. It said files were deleted successfully and closed. I ran Ad-aware, Spybot and after downloading my McAfee-- another virus scan. I had about a dozen files that were "potentially" unwanted. I was able to delete all of them!! and the Windows/system32/AmCTRES.dll files never showed up.

So fingers are crossed that the AmCTRES files are all gone!!! :D

Thank you Thank you!!
Garfluver :o

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Congratulations! <_<

How do you prevent spyware from being installed again? We strongly recommend installing SpywareBlaster (it's free for personal use).

Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests.
Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer.
Consumes no system resources.

Download, run, check for updates, download updates, select all, protect against checked. All done. Check for updates every couple of weeks. If you have any errors running the program like a missing file see the link at the bottom of the javacool page.
Link to SpywareBlaster: http://www.javacools...areblaster.html

It's also very important to keep your system up to date to avoid unnecessary security risks. Click Here to make sure that you have the latest patches for Windows.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.