Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Microsoft Encountered a Problem"/Norton involved?

• Please log in to reply

MikkiMagic

MikkiMagic

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I recently TRIED to uninstall Norton Internet Security 2006 from my pc. I spent a whole night online paying a tech from the Symantec website to help me do so. It was never finished. I removed it from Add/Remove programs and then removed any and every file or folder that had Norton or Symantec or anything remotely resembling anything that might be related to the program. I apparently still have something hanging on somewhere but I have no idea what it is or where to find it.

I added AVG Antivirus and now when I go to my Security Center in Control Panel..it tells me that I have 2 AV's on my computer and one is updated and scanning. I know I need to get rid of whatever is hanging on from Norton/Symantec because it will interfere with AVG.

Now I am receiving a "Please send error report to Microsoft" almost every time I try to run or open any program.

For instance, last night I went back to the Symantec website and downloaded the Symantec Removal Tool (again!!!) It ( as it has every time I have tried to use it...even before I uninstalled anything myself) gave me the "Symantec Removal Utility has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." "Please tell Microsoft about this problem."

Then I have the 3 options: Debug Send Error Report Don't Send.

I wasn't sure where to post this because it seems to all be related somehow.

Hopefully someone can help me here; I've tried everything I can; and apparently Symantec has also and they gave up and just ended the session on me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a hijackthis log that I ran earlier this morning if that helps any at all. I have no idea, but, will post the results of it anyway.

Edit: Attached HiJackThis log.

This is my first post; so, if I put this in the wrong place and need to repost; someone PLEASE help me!

Thanks in advance,
Mikki

Attached Files

Edited by wannabe1, 20 October 2006 - 10:59 AM.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!!

Do you still have your Norton CD?

If so, disconnect your computer from the internet (by physically removing the wire). Uninstall AVG. Use the Norton CD to Reinstall Norton.

Once reinstalled, use THIS NORTON REMOVAL rather than Symantec's removal and completely remove it. Do NOT use Add/Remove Programs to remove it.

If you do not have your Norton CD still, you may be able to find a trial of Norton you can install here

Once removed, reinstall AVG and see if your problem still exists. :whistling:

MikkiMagic

MikkiMagic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello Computerwiz,

Thanks for your quick response. Norton was installed on my pc when I bought it and when it was time to renew it in June 2006; I tried d/l'ing from the internet. MISTAKE. It hasn't worked correctly since, nor has my computer. So, I don't have a CD and I went to the page you suggested, but had no idea what to download since I have deleted so many files (all that can possibly be found that have norton or symantec or any variations thereof in them).

Would you mind telling me which one of the Trialversions I should download? They do not have Norton Internet Security 2006 as an option and I am clueless as to which one to d/l at this point.

Thanks so much!

Mikki

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi MikkiMagic...

Try running This Removal Utility from Symantec. Download the version for your installed operating system.

wannabe1

MikkiMagic

MikkiMagic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi wannabe1,

Thanks so much for your response. This is apparently a tough one to solve. I have been trying since Oct. 5th when I talked with tech support at Norton. The Removal Tool just absolutely refuses to run all the way through. He finally sent me to a page and told me to do a clean reboot and then run it again. I did; it didn't work and he just ended the session without even a good-bye.

Hopefully you will continue to try and help me; I would really appreciate it!!!

I did try running it, yet again, and it stopped before it finished, as always and I got the dreaded "Symantec Removal Utility has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Please tell Microsoft about this problem." :whistling: Happens every time.

I am enclosing the txt. log; maybe you can see something there that will help you help me! I hope so.

In any event, thank you so much for your effort.

Sincerely,
Mikki

:blink:

Edit: Attach SymNRT log.

Attached Files

Edited by wannabe1, 20 October 2006 - 12:15 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Would you please reiterate the steps you and the Norton tech tried, what applications you ran, were you in the registry?

This information may help Wiz and I troubleshoot where the shredded bits might be.

Please download, install, adn run WinAudit. Save a log in PDF (Adobe) format. We may refer to this report for information or may ask you to send it to us to sort this issue.

MikkiMagic

MikkiMagic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I had found a virus using the Norton ONLINE scan. My norton didn't pick it up; but I knew something was really wrong so I went to the website. I found and used the online scan and then used online tech support to remove the virus.

The Norton tech used the Remote Assistance.I am fairly sure she was in the registry and I am unsure if she clicked all the correct choices in the System Configuration Utility after she had me restart back in normal mode. While she had me in Safe mode; I could barely keep up with all she installed and uninstalled. I know she used a program called killbox and noadafear and several others..then uninstalled them. She left killbox behind when she uninstalled everything she had used.

She then sent me to another tech to uninstall/reinstall. WE didn't accomplish anything .... enclosing our chat.

Thank you both SO very much for working on this for me!!!!

Many Many Thanks!! :whistling: :blink:

Mikki

Chat with Symantec Tech (after the remote assistance to remove virus with a different tech) went as follows:

10/06/2006 Kaleem:Hi, thank you for contacting Symantec Live Technical Support. My name is Kaleem. How may I help you?
You: I am supposed to have you help me. I have been online with a tech for hours and now I need to uninstall and reinstall my Norton. I was given this link and there isn't supposed to be any charge since I have already paid once.
Kaleem: I understand from your message that you need help with reinstalling the Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2006 program. Am I correct?
You: yes
Kaleem: Please let me know what exactly happens when you try to download the Norton program.
You: I have it downloaded and it wasn't working. I finally found the online scan and 2 viruses were found through that. I spent half the night with a tech getting rid of the virus and then was told to come here and uninstall/reinstall the whole program before using it again.
Kaleem: Okay. Please let me know if you have uninstalled the Norton program and also let me know if you have paid any charges in removing the Virus.
You: I DID pay charges in removing the virus, much to my distress!!!!! As far as uninstalling....or anything else...here is what I was told by the tech...
Kaleem: Yes Please proceed.
You: Aveen(Thu Oct 5 21:50:57 EDT 2006)>
It is absolutely free and they will assist you to uninstall, Redownload, Reinstall the Norton on your computer.
Aveen(Thu Oct 5 21:52:06 EDT 2006)>
I suggest you to contact Technical Service using this link:

Aveen(Thu Oct 5 21:52:07 EDT 2006)>
http://live-symantec.custhelp.com/

Kaleem: Okay. Please let me know if you have uninstalled the Norton program from your Computer.
You: NO, I was told to come here and "get help with all of that' as you can see by what I just copied and pasted to you that the tech,
You: Aveen told me
Kaleem: Okay. Before troubleshooting this issue, I need to gather more information from you. This will help me to provide precise technical support. May I proceed?
You: yessss
Kaleem: Please let me know the list of all Symantec programs installed on your computer. This information can be obtained from the Add/Remove Programs applet of Windows Control Panel. To open the Add/Remove Programs applet window, please refer to the following steps:

1. On the Windows desktop taskbar, click on the Start > Settings > Control Panel.
2. In the Control Panel Window, double click on the Add/Remove programs applet icon to open the Add/Remove Programs window.

You: i have the add/remove window open
Kaleem: Please let me know the Symantec or Norton programs that are displayed there along with their year or the Versions.
You: Live Update 3.0 (symantec Corporation), Norton Internet Security 2006 (symantec Corportation), Symantec Client Components for Assisted Support, Symantec Technical Support Web Controls
Kaleem: Okay. Please let me know where was the Norton program purchased.
You: at the Symantec store online
Kaleem: Okay. Please let me know the Order number that you received while purchasing the Norton program./
You: it will take a moment to find..please wait.
Kaleem: Sure Donna.
You: Order Number: 757825113
Kaleem: Thank you for providing the requested information.
You: You're welcome
Kaleem: Can you please hold for 4 – 5 minutes, while I locate your order details in our server?
You: Order Number: 945807944 ......for some reason I have two; I had a problem with getting the whole download the first time. It has never worked correctly
Kaleem: Okay.
You: yes, I can hold for you to get the required info...I need to walk my dog quickly...I will be back in less than 5 minutes.
You: I'm back
Kaleem: Okay. Please make a note from where you can download the program by providing the Order number and password by visiting the following URL link given below:

http://www.symantecs...com/orderlookup

Order Number: 757825113

Password: 24COFFEE
Kaleem: Is that correct?
You: yes
Kaleem: I suggest that you uninstall the Norton product using the Norton Uninstall Tool and then reinstall NIS 2006 program.
Kaleem: You can download the Norton Uninstall Tools by visiting the following URL listed below:

http://service1.syma...006031710323113
You: So i need to d/l that and then uninstall and then go to the "http://www.symantecs...om/orderlookup" and reinstall from there??
Kaleem: Yes Donna, you are correct.
You: ok, thank you for your time and assistance
Kaleem: You are welcome, Donna. Can you try downloading the tool by staying Online?
You: Yes, is it complicated?
Kaleem: No Donna, I will try to send the link which should appear on your screen, please let me know if the link appears and I shall assist you further.
***** URL Received: http://service1.syma...006031710323113
You: yes, it appeared
Kaleem: Now, Please click on the Download button and click save and save it to your desktop.
You: Ok, it is on my desktop
Kaleem: Okay, Now, Please run the tool which will uninstall all the Norton programs at one go and let me know when you have finished running the tool.
You: ok
Kaleem: Thank you.
Kaleem: Please let me know the current status.
You: I just got a message Symantec Removal Utility has encountered a problem and needs to close
Kaleem: Please note that this can happen if there are conflicts on your Computer and we need to clean boot your Computer and then run the removal tool to uninstall.
You: I thought that was what I had been doing all night.
You: what do I do now?
Kaleem: Please visit the link given below and perform a clean boot of your Computer and then run the tool and then reinstall the Norton program:

http://service1.syma...001053014402339
You: Does this site have ALL the info that I need on it??????????
You: I have been working on this since 8pm EST and I am getting really tired....of Norton!
Kaleem: Yes Donna, it has all the steps to clean boot, please clean boot your Computer and then run the tool and then reinstall the Norton program.
You: OK....guess I have nothing to lose except maybe crashing my pc........and at this point; I don't really care.
You: thanks for your help......not your fault...but, pass along the message to SYMANTEC that I will NEVER install another product of theirs on my pc after (IF) I ever get my money's worth out of this one!!
You: end of conversation?
***** Kaleem Has Disconnected

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Gotta love Symantec's support... :whistling:

Here is a more direct download link to the application computerwiz12890 asked you to run...I agree that this would be a good next step. A word of warning, this application has, on occasion, had adverse effects on Windows. However, these problems are easily taken care of using Dial a fix...Wiz knows this app quite well and can help you if you have problems.

SymNRT

Save the file to your desktop. Try running the application from Normal Mode (double click on it) first. If it doesn't work, run it from Safe Mode and see if it will complete.

Zip the WinAudit report and attach it to an email to me...I will PM you with the address. I'll give Wiz a copy to look at once I have it.

MikkiMagic

MikkiMagic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I d/l'd from the site you gave me in the last post.

I ran it in Normal mode; then booted to safe mode; then used Selective startup....all 3 times I ran it....I got the same thing...it started; then "the" message came up:

"Symantec Removal Utility has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Please tell Microsoft about this problem." :whistling:

I must have run that tool from a dozen locations I found in different places and tried running it in every possible mode and it just won't work.

I sent you the WinAudit report in email, wannabe1....I hope you and/or computerwiz12890 one can figure out something!

I found a web site about Windows errors that might(?) help with that problem...if I can get it to work.

The one I get is the last one shown on the page "Microsoft Error Reporting in Windows XP" at this address:

http://www.timeatlas...Error_Messages/

I know I still have to remove all traces of Norton/Symantec; but, just can't seem to do it...so, started trying to find a way to get rid of "whatever" is stopping the programs from running.

If you think any of this will help; PLEASE advise!!

Thank you both so much!

Mikki

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I see from the report that you have already run SymNRT on the machine. Go ahead and run it again.

Once this has been completed, we'll head into the registry and find the shredded bits in there.

Advertisements

MikkiMagic

MikkiMagic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I see we posted about the same time...nonetheless, I ran it again...got the same message about halfway through. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...we'll go to the registry.

This will be time consuming, but is not difficult. We're going to hunt down and remove every reference to Norton that's written to the Windows Registry.

Click Start, then Run, type regedit and click "Ok". Registry Editor will open.

In the left pane, right click on "My Computer" (at the top) and choose "Export". Save this file somewhere you will remember...like the desktop. Name it registryold.

Click on "Edit" on the toolbar and choose "Find". In the "Find What" box, type symantec, tick all three boxes in the "Look At" section, and click the "Find Next" button.

Now the fun starts... :blink:

If you are taken to a folder named Symantec...and I suspect you will be...right click on it and choose "Delete"...accept the change. Click "Edit" and choose "Find Next" to find the next entry...there may be gobs and gobs.

If you are taken to a sub-folder or one that does not have Symantec in the name, please post back and I'll walk you through finding the trigger entry for that key.

When you have gone completely through the registry using "symantec" as the search trigger, we'll do it all again using norton in the "Find What" box.

Even after uninstalling and running the cleaning programs, you'll be surprised at what was left behind. :whistling:

If you have any questions at all, ask them before proceeding.

MikkiMagic

MikkiMagic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I do have one question....when will you be online again??

I have really truly LITERALLY been at this pc over 25 hours!

I know that to do "my assignment"; I will need to be a little more alert than I am right now and I WANT to do it RIGHT!!!

So...can I take a break and still count on you to help me out? PLEASE!!

Thanks sooo much!
Mikki

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Take all the time you need. I'm on mainly in the evenings, but can often be found "prowling" the board as I have been this afternoon. You may shoot me a PM when you're ready if you wish. :whistling:

MikkiMagic

MikkiMagic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I sent you an email to the address you pm'd to me....thanks and I'll talk to you tomorrow!

I feel so much better now that I think I can actually sleep without worrying!

Mikki