Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Microsoft Encountered a Problem"/Norton involved?

• Please log in to reply

MikkiMagic

MikkiMagic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
WHEW! wannabe1, You weren't kidding when you said there would be gobs of folders! (I got busy this weekend and just got started this morning.)

I've been through the registry "finding" Symantec...haven't gotten to Norton yet...can't wait for THAT one.. :whistling:

While going through the Symantec search; I had 2 questions and one problem.

Questions: A LOT of the keys I deleted had an entry in the same folder that said:

Name: Threading Model
Type: REG_SV
Data: Apartment (a couple of them reported "Both" rather than apartment)

Is that something that should be there??

I saw a LOT of folders with SymNet, SymEvent, or variations of those that I "think" are Symantec files.
Are they and if so should they be deleted also?

Lastly...the problem...I have one folder that appears to be (at least deductive reasoning tells me it is) important to delete. The folder name is "Legacy_Symantec_Core_LC" and it has a subfolder "0000" which contains 6 registry keys that "appear" to need to go...i.e. "DeviceDesc"...etc.

What should I do about those?

( I think I deleted some registry keys that were not supposed to be deleted; they showed up highlighted before I hit the F3 or "find next". I don't know why they were highlighted and I deleted several before I realized what I was doing and I have no clue where/ what they were. Were they supposed to be deleted if highlighted or did I really screw up?)

I haven't started on Norton deletion yet; I wanted to wait and see what you had to say about what I have done so far. Not to mention that it takes forever and it is a boring task; although having said that...if you help me get this taken care of; I will be forever grateful!

Thanks so very much for all your help!

Most Sincerely,
Mikki :blink:

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
hi
have you tried using unlocker...download it from here

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

from start menu....click on search...click all files and folders...on the first run try looking for norton

so do a search for norton.....when the search is complete right click a norton file..you should see unlocker there. little wand with a star click on that follow the prompts....

use the drop menu select delete...if it works do that to all norton files

then use your search and do the same for symantec

Edited by rushin1nd, 23 October 2006 - 02:05 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We're not after files, rushin1nd...we're after references to files that are already gone. It's a good technique, though... :whistling:

For the keys you're not sure of, in the left pane, right click on the key in question and choose "Export"...save it to your desktop. Zip the saved key and attach it to a reply. I'll have a peek and let you know which way to go with it. You should be able to attach several at a time if need be.

MikkiMagic

MikkiMagic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

hi

from start menu....click on search...click all files and folders...on the first run try looking for norton

so do a search for norton.....when the search is complete right click a norton file..you should see unlocker there. little wand with a star click on that follow the prompts....

Thanks rushin1nd...It won't help with the Symantec/Norton problem..too far gone for that this time; however, I went to the link and found it useful in some other problems I was having. So, thanks a lot for the tip!! I really appreciate it!!

:whistling:

Mikki

MikkiMagic

MikkiMagic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

hi

Thanks for getting back to me, wannabe1. I have all my registry keys back...thanks to my updating a program which needed a restart to finish....When I tried to restart....my pc had CRASHED!!.......I finally got in back somehow..trial and error and (this stupid thing didn't come with a disk...I had created my recovery disks; but, they didn't work...so, I'm "working in DOS" :blink: and after a very long time....I did "something and restarted. I don't "go past" my BIOS anymore; I have no clue what I have done. AND, now I have Norton 2005 AV and Internet Security (which came loaded on the pc) alllllll back and updated!.....I have no clue how to get the freakin' thing back to the way it came; but, I'm working on it.

I HATE that I need a computer!!!!

Thanks for all your help; I really appreciate it....from here I don't even know how to tell you what is going on so that you could help me anymore; even if you wanted to.

Yep, I'm having a MAJOR pity party right now....

Mikki

:help: :whistling:

MikkiMagic

MikkiMagic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well, DUH, I meant to quote YOUR reply on that last message, wannabe1.

Just not having a good day!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Does the machine start at all?

We have a copy of the registry saved on the desktop so we can get it back the way it was... :whistling:

MikkiMagic

MikkiMagic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yes, the machine starts...not in the same way it used to...but, it does start.

MikkiMagic

MikkiMagic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
As I mentioned above; when my pc crashed and I finally got it up and running again; it had re-installed the original Norton/Symantec products on it.....after ALL I had been through to get rid of it.

My son, who is fantastic with pc's and good at "keeping it simple" downloaded crap cleaner at www.ccleaner.com.

He used this program to uninstall anything related to symantec or norton; as well as other programs I didn't want/need.

Having already removed them through my Add/Remove programs folder; it seemed redundant to me until he showed me HOW much was still showing up that was relative to norton and symantec.

For those of us who are not computer experts I would definitely recommend this program. He got rid of all the things I didn't want just through the uninstall program with the crap cleaner......added avast AV and ZoneAlarm firewall to my pc.....free......and I have had NO problems at all since then and believe me.....I had been dealing with a HUGE MESS for months!

Hope this helps someone...thanks for all the help I received here!! :whistling:

Happy, safe surfing!

Mikki :blink:

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
NORTON products are notorious for being both difficult to use and using copious amounts of resources...and you get darn little help if needed.

Want to save yourself some headaches when you have to do weeding like this...get Registry First Aid... it does one job, and one job to perfection, not a bunch of jobs poorly.

http://www.rosecitys...re.com/reg1aid/

It will find "key words" in tandum, and delete them as per your instructions...all in one fell swoop!

Until I found RFA a few years ago, I was drowned in the same useless traipsing through the registry.

I am free at last...

"Tired of Windows® crashing? Sick of having software lock up on you or taking forever to load? The problem could be all of those incorrect registry entries caused by software installations and un-installations that went awry!

Not all software un-installations do a complete job leaving behind numerous nagging file references in the Windows registry pointing to files that no longer exist. In time, you can end up with hundreds of these files that may slow down your computer and cause software to lock up, requiring a hard reboot of your computer.

Computer acting up? Crashing? Slow? Unreliable! Fix it with Registry First Aid!

Also, if you've moved your programs from one drive to another, you can break the file links that a program needs. Registry First Aid will find these files and folders that you've moved on your hard drive and help you correct the registry entries that point to them.

Registry First Aid - keep your PC fast and reliable! Registry First Aid scans the Windows registry for orphan file/folder references, finds these files or folders on your drives that may have been moved from their initial locations, and then corrects your registry entries to match the located files or folders. In addition, if your registry has links to files of deleted applications, Registry First Aid will find these invalid entries and remove them from your registry. With Registry First Aid, your Windows registry will be always clean and correct, helping your programs load faster and speeding up your computer."

An alternative to NORTON is AVG, its free and very good.

I use PC-cillin, not free and excellent!

Edited by b1caez01, 15 November 2006 - 10:54 PM.

Advertisements