Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Too much RAM?

• Please log in to reply

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
:whistling: Being a person inflicted with fidgititus (can't leave well enough alone) I have two dumb questions but I'm also one of those. So, tweaking with a Gateway laptop solo 1200, the manual says 320mb max RAM. What if I put a stick of 512 in it? I was just thinking since it's a 6 year old PC that 320 was an ample rating at the time of printing and the board can really handle and run better with more. If it hurts nothing to try, OK! If it hurts the RAM or board, NOT OK. second, third forth, etc opinions PLEASE! :blink: I do comprehend staying at non ECC, PC133 and prefer CL2. Currently it shows 288 RAM and manual say 64mb on board non replacable and has a stick of 256mb in the one only slot. The 64 plus 256 should be 320 but all scans show only 288. With the stick out it only show 32mb. What happened to 32mb of the permanent onboard RAM? :help:

Advertisements

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
The missing 32mb ram is probably shared onboard graphics. No matter how much ram you put in it you won't get it over 320mb ram. It's time to upgrade, methinks.