Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Administrator Account Problems

• Please log in to reply

Max Power

Max Power

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi, I'm new here. I tried searching for my problem but I couldn't find anything similar. Kept getting hits for Task manager.

Anyway, I'm hoping you guys can help me. I'm worried I'm going to have to scrap this system. I don't really want to do that.

I had a recent bout of spyware / malware and tried to get rid of it but proved to be a little difficult. I purchased Norton AntiVirus 2007 and it seemed to take care of it. Nothing seemed to work. Task Manager and Command Prompt were disabled. I searched the net and found solutions for those. Now NAV won't load at startup anymore nor will it start manually. I tried to get tech support from Symantec and after changing some things in the System Configuration Utility (msconfig) I get this message saying:

"An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on as an Administrator account to make the specified changes."

I am using an Administrator account. Any ideas as to how to fix this problem?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's probably talking about THE administrator not AN administrator

restart the computer and when you get to the screen where you pick your user press ctrl alt del (you may need to press it twice) this will bring up a classic login screen (where you type in a user and password) when this screen comes up type in administrator as the user and then the administrator password (if this is xp pro...hopefully you set up the computer because durins setup it asked for this password....if this is xp home...try leaving this password blank)

Max Power

Max Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I'm using Windows XP home edition.

Okay I tried that but no change. This is the message I got after trying to log in with Administrator and using nothing as a password since I never used a password anyway.

"Unable to log you on because of an account restriction."

What else can I try?