Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Outlook Passwords with Multiple Users

• Please log in to reply

smacey

smacey

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
In our service center we have a computer that is always logged in to a general account. The people that use that computer would like to be able to view their personal inbox in addition to the general inbox that must be open at all times while they are stationed in the service center. Is there any work around where we can have the general mailbox open, but each user can view their own inbox by using a password so as to keep others from viewing their email?

We use Outlook 2003, Windows XP Pro and Microsoft Exchange Server.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you could set up OWA (outlook web access) on the exchange server...then the users could access their individual mail boxes via I.E. because outlook doesn't allow for multiple exchange accounts at once..

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Do you have Outlook Web Access? If so, you can have Outlook open with the General Mailbox, and each user can then open Internet Explorer and open their personal mailbox. I think this would be the most secure way to handle it.

The alternative would be to give the general user account that logs onto the computer access to each individual's mailbox (in Active Directory). Then on the workstations, you'd set up different mail profiles for each individual and set it to prompt for the profile. However, user A could choose user B's profile and be able to see everything that belongs to user A.

Hope this gets you started.

smacey

smacey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
No. We don't have Outlook Web Access, but I figured out another solution. I just set up different profiles for each user and made Outlook prompt for a user and password. Then I added the general mailbox to each user's mail folders. Now they sign into the general windows account and choose what profile in Outlook they want which prompts them for their user name and password. When they leave, they exit Outlook and the next person signing into Outlook has to choose their profile and use their user name and password. Too cool!!