Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen = STOP: d0000144 UNKNOWN HARD ERROR

• Please log in to reply

gawlfer

gawlfer

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am hoping that someone here can help me out, I would really appreciate it.

When I booted my PC yesterday everything seemed fine until about 30 seconds after the desktop appeared. It was then that I heard an unfamiliar click then got the blue screen of death with the message:

STOP:d0000144 UNKNOWN HARD ERROR
unknown hard error

After getting the same result after 3 manual power downs and reboots, I booted in Safe mode and tried running McAfee antivirus but got a message saying there were not enough system resources. I tried running Spybot Search and got the same message. Then I went to Recovery Console mode and ran chkdsk /r which ran succesfully and reported that it found and repaired 1 or more problems. I attempted to reboot normally with the same blue screen result. Next I tried booting with the last known good Windows settings but also got the same blue screen result. I then tried using System Restore but got a message saying that the file could not be found (for three separate dates). I am now at my wits end and desperately need some help.

I built this system one year ago and haven't had any problems until now. The specs are as follows:

Windows XP Pro
P4 ht 3.0ghz
2gb ddr pc3200
Maxtor 200gb hd

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This came up here last year, and this link was posted:
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;156669

Failing this, the most common cause is often faulty hardware, so Google for Memtest86 and run that for a while.

gawlfer

gawlfer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you for your reply.

The error code on the link you provided is different than the one I am getting.

I am currently using a different machine to post here as the one in question cannot access the internet, else I would try the memtest you suggested.

I appreciate your attempt to assist me.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Hmm, intresting. I havent seen this too often. Have you uninstalled any type of firewall and/or antivirus products recently?

Oh also, have you overclocked at all?

Edited by Cilix, 20 October 2006 - 05:30 PM.

gawlfer

gawlfer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
No overclocking. No new firewall or antivirus.

The only thing I recently installed was something called Jobseeker from Monster.com. I subsequently removed it.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Please go to the malware forum and get someone there to help you. Just for your information the castlecops have a thread on their forum on the same problem.

http://www.castlecop...Hard_Error.html

SRX660