Welcome Guest to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Feel free to browse the site as a guest. However, you must log in to reply to existing topics or start a new topic of your own, and enjoy all this forum has to offer. Additionally, if you can assist another member by sharing your knowledge, please post a reply! Best of all - Registration and all assistance, is FREE! Learn more about How it Works. Infected? Malware Cleaning Guide. What are you waiting for?
Create an Account Login to Account

Blue Screen = STOP: d0000144 UNKNOWN HARD ERROR

• Please log in to reply

gawlfer

gawlfer

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am hoping that someone here can help me out, I would really appreciate it.

When I booted my PC yesterday everything seemed fine until about 30 seconds after the desktop appeared. It was then that I heard an unfamiliar click then got the blue screen of death with the message:

STOP:d0000144 UNKNOWN HARD ERROR
unknown hard error

After getting the same result after 3 manual power downs and reboots, I booted in Safe mode and tried running McAfee antivirus but got a message saying there were not enough system resources. I tried running Spybot Search and got the same message. Then I went to Recovery Console mode and ran chkdsk /r which ran succesfully and reported that it found and repaired 1 or more problems. I attempted to reboot normally with the same blue screen result. Next I tried booting with the last known good Windows settings but also got the same blue screen result. I then tried using System Restore but got a message saying that the file could not be found (for three separate dates). I am now at my wits end and desperately need some help.

I built this system one year ago and haven't had any problems until now. The specs are as follows:

Windows XP Pro
P4 ht 3.0ghz
2gb ddr pc3200
Maxtor 200gb hd

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Advertisement

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This came up here last year, and this link was posted:
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;156669

Failing this, the most common cause is often faulty hardware, so Google for Memtest86 and run that for a while.

gawlfer

gawlfer

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you for your reply.

The error code on the link you provided is different than the one I am getting.

I am currently using a different machine to post here as the one in question cannot access the internet, else I would try the memtest you suggested.

I appreciate your attempt to assist me.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Hmm, intresting. I havent seen this too often. Have you uninstalled any type of firewall and/or antivirus products recently?

Oh also, have you overclocked at all?

Edited by Cilix, 20 October 2006 - 05:30 PM.

gawlfer

gawlfer

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
No overclocking. No new firewall or antivirus.

The only thing I recently installed was something called Jobseeker from Monster.com. I subsequently removed it.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Please go to the malware forum and get someone there to help you. Just for your information the castlecops have a thread on their forum on the same problem.

http://www.castlecop...Hard_Error.html

SRX660

Advertisement