Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Connecting to Highspeed Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply

Skinnyhobo

Skinnyhobo

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Our inn has a WEP encrypted wireless network for guest use. On occasion we have guests who, although able to recognize the network, enter the WEP key and obtain a connection, are still unable to access the internet. It appears as though when they open their browser IE still tries to connect with their default (home) connection rather than using the wireless connection.

I have been able to solve the problem on occassion if the guest allows me to fiddle with their laptop, but because it rarely happens, I never remember what I steps I employed :whistling:

I hate to take up the guests time with this, and not many ppl like you to be searching through their settings options etc.

I realize there is a simple way to configure this, so if anyone could help me, I'll print this off and be ready for next time!

Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about and can offer some suggestions.

Please note that I do not have a laptop to experiment with.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi skinnyhobo,

More than likely what you have done in the past is set the connections to automatically detect DHCP and DNS. Many laptops used for work or provided by an employer have the connections configured for the networks they use daily. The easiest way to check this is to go to Start /Control Panel /Network Connections. Right click on the wireless connection and select properties, select Internet Protocol. click Properties. If there are numbers entered in the fields you should note them so that the customer can re-enter them when they leave. Change the settings to "automatically obtain IP" and set the DNS to "automatically obtain DNS" then click OK and click OK on the wireless properties. Disable then enable the connection. Check the ability to surf.

Skinnyhobo

Skinnyhobo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello Silverbeard,

Thank you for your quick reply. Looking at the solution, perhaps all I was able to do was help them find the wireless network and so on... :blink: However, I understand your straightforward instructions, and look forward to when I can try them out!

Many thanks!!
:whistling:

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
If your network is broadcasting an SSID,

Right click on the wireless icon in the system tray and choose "View available networks".

Click on the network there and click connect at the bottom of the Networks window.

The window to enter the WEP key should then appear. Enter the key.

The Network window should show "Connected".

Close the window and the pC should be able to suf.