Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp running super slow

• Please log in to reply

bgc197

bgc197

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi I do not know how this happened but can someone help me please?xp running super slow.
the hour glass is displayed for 20 minutes when I try to shut down. It boots up to windows desktop but when
I click on anything it takes 20 minutes. How can I determine what is going on?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi bgc197...

As the usual culprit for issues like this is malware, let's check for that first.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions found there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

bgc197

bgc197

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thank you for your reply and your time. The pc went belly up with this message:system32\hal.dll. missing or corrupt. I used win xp recovery council-bootcfg /rebuild command-to get back into windows than rclickd
my computer-properties-advanced-settings under start and recovery-edit-and corrected the bootini file.she's working fine, back up to speed
and good to go.Thanks again

rgl

rgl

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have the exact same thing, can you tell me what happened to the your computer when it went out?
I am a novice with this, and am lucky to find the keys :whistling:
Did it happen before, during or after you started the malware elimination? Your help would be appreciated.
My boot up time, 5 minutes, operation is slow also. thanks

bgc197

bgc197

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I did not have malware. Please start your own Post. Please read the instructions on how to use this site.