Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IEEE 1394 (firewire) is not recognized

• Please log in to reply

sammytexas

sammytexas

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I was recently given a Seagate external hd that can connect by either usb or firewire. I had to order a firewire cable and connect it with the usb until the firewire came in. when connect by usb it worked fine but when i try and connect with the firewire it's like it doesn't exist. I have never had any firewire device before but assumed it was pretty straight forward on the setup. Am I missing something? I have tried it both on my pc and laptop. My pc has a USB 2.0/Firewire pci card and my laptop had the same but an external. Both have the drivers installed. Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Firewire is pretty much plug and play. Once your computer is booted up, plug in the firewire cable to the device and the computer, then turn on the external device. Windows should detect it automatically. If not, go to start, my computer right click properties, hardare tab, device manager. Look for the IEEE 1394 bus host controller. Does it have a yellow ! next to it?

sammytexas

sammytexas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
It shows up in device manager and doesn't show any problems. Here is a screen shot of what I've got, it shows an X on one of the network adapters but I know why thats there. Let me know if you need anymore info. ThanksScreenHunter_001.jpg

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
That red x on the 1394 adapter should not be there. Go to that device and try updating the driver.

sammytexas

sammytexas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I think my brain is starting to fail me. I saw that X but thought it was from a wireless USB adapter I put in one time. I didn't really look at the number (1394). So is this the firewire? If so what is the other 1394 that is showing up top? I will be heading home in a few and will try updating it. Thanks

sammytexas

sammytexas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Still no luck. On the 1394 Net Adapter, i tried updating the driver but it said that I had the most current. So I uninstalled and reinstalled it and now it is there and doesn't have a X. I was reading on the PCI combo card I have and it said the two things to look for in sys devices are OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller and ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller (under Universial Serial Bus). I have both of those and they say to be working properly. The Pci card i am using has 3 USB 2.0 ports and 2 firewire. I've never had a problem with the 2.0 so I know the card is recognized, just not the firewire. Any other idea? Thanks, Jeremy

BTW: are you from austin?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Yes, 1394 is firewire. Since you were able to clear the red x on the 1394 adapter it should work. If it is not working, try going to the PCI combo card manufacturer's website for tech support.

Edited by austin_o, 24 October 2006 - 06:37 AM.