Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Binding internet to NIC - Is it possible?

• Please log in to reply

ol1v3r

ol1v3r

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey everyone!

I'm running Vista RC2 at the moment, which is lovely. However, is it possible to route all internet/external connections to one NIC? I have two at the moment, both on internet featured networks, and i'd like to route everything internet-based to one, so I can have the other for local-only activities.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Oli

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you may be able to use the "route add" command in command prompt to do this...

open a command prompt and type route /? for the syntax

basically you'd want to make a static route (persistant if possible) that would point all traffic for 0.0.0.0 mask 255.255.255.255 Edit: the actuall netmask for this theory should be 0.0.0.0 meaning...all networks...a netmask of 255.255.255.255 would exclude all but one ip address (i.e. 192.168.0.1 with a subnetmask of 255.255.255.255 would mean ONLY the ip 192.168.0.1 is part of this network)..sorry for the mistake :whistling: to the internet NIC....this SHOULD route all Internet traffic out of that NIC

Edited by dsenette, 25 October 2006 - 07:26 AM.

ol1v3r

ol1v3r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Would that not point all traffic to an IP though?

I just thought that setting a net mask of 255.255.255.255 just redirected everything, maybe I'm wrong!

Cheers,
Oli

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Set it at the router level. Have one NIC blocked off from the external WAN.

ol1v3r

ol1v3r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Set it at the router level. Have one NIC blocked off from the external WAN.

Thanks for the suggestion! I must have skipped past the option about 5 times, but I discovered the DENY_OUTBOUND variable on my rc.firewall script .. So all is well in the household now :]

Thanks a lot for the help guys!

Oliver

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I just thought that setting a net mask of 255.255.255.255 just redirected everything, maybe I'm wrong!

just as a note on the route that i suggested...it would route all traffic...but only ALL traffic destined for an unknown network (i.e. the internet) not neccessarily all traffic internally...because you SHOULD have routes in place for the two internal networks (as they're added by default) also...technically you should have at least one route already in place for 0.0.0.0.... but...you've solved the issue so...there you go!

ol1v3r

ol1v3r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

just as a note on the route that i suggested...it would route all traffic...but only ALL traffic destined for an unknown network (i.e. the internet) not neccessarily all traffic internally...because you SHOULD have routes in place for the two internal networks (as they're added by default) also...technically you should have at least one route already in place for 0.0.0.0.... but...you've solved the issue so...there you go!

Ah fantastic! We'll I will remember that for the future! I have heard about the routing program in Windows, but never knew what use it was for .. So thanks a lot for the information on that one!

Oli :]

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
se my above corrections....i had my subnetting wrong :whistling: