Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Home Update - New user account created?

• Please log in to reply

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I installed the latest XP Home Edition updates last night then found a new user account on my computer. It's called 'ASP.NET Machine A...'. Why is it there and if I remove it, will it make much odds? Thanks

When I boot my PC up, there's only one account shown to log into - my admin account - is this normal? Shouldn't the new ASP.NET..account show up? What settings can I change so that Windows loads directly into my admin account without me having to click on the account to log in?

Edited by GrantG, 21 October 2006 - 04:54 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the asp.net account comes with the .net framework....it's not neccessary for windows opperation...but it also doesn't do anything to y our system if you leave it...it's not actually a user account....it's a system account...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

When I boot my PC up, there's only one account shown to log into - my admin account - is this normal? Shouldn't the new ASP.NET..account show up? What settings can I change so that Windows loads directly into my admin account without me having to click on the account to log in?

Go back to Windows Update and grab .NET framework Service Pack 1. The account is a system account, not a user account so it won't show on the front screen.

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Yeah, it only appears in the User Accounts in Control Panel. I'm sure there's a way to log into my admin account automatically but I'm not quite sure how. I've got another computer doing it, but can't remember what setting I changed. Since there's only one account on the computer I got it logging in without having to select the account, thus making the start up process a little faster. Any idea how?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Start -> Run -> type in "control userpasswords2".

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Good work, thanks :whistling: