Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to DSL line

• Please log in to reply

ldc

ldc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My DSL connection just dropped off and I can't get it back up. Everything says that it is connected and properly setup, but I can't launch my browser or anything else. I have tried everything I can think of (which isn't much) but nothing seems to work.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi idc,

If you have an IP and a gateway then something like a security suite(firewall) is more than likely blocking access.

go to start /run /open=msconfig. Click on the Boot.ini tab and select "safe boot" then click "network" then click OK and restart. When the PC is up select your account and check your ability to surf. If you can then you have a problem with a running application that starts with the PC in normal mode.

If you have a third party firewall you should check the program controls in the settings. Either clear them all and start over (assuming this is a rules based firewall) or find the setting that is blocking access and allow it to contact the Internet.

Another alternative is "System Restore". Start /All Programs /Accessories /System Tools /System Restore. Follow the prompts and select a date when the Internet was working. This can sometimes fix the problem if the settings are in the registry and not a config file.