Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD-rom seems to be making comp crash

• Please log in to reply

eigchick

eigchick

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi All,
I'm new here. I know very little about computers- that's why I'm here.

The last few months my comp has crashing every now and then when there is a game cd in the rom. and or the writer

It has mainly been odd times, but I've just tried to install a game on the comp and it keeps crashing. ;)

The rom light comes on and it starts to whir and then nothing! Everything stops. ;)

Sometimes it crashes on the 2nd disc, sometimes the 1st and sometimes the 3rd -if it ever gets that far!

It's not the game, as my husband has managed to install and play the game on his comp.

I've checked the device manager, there appear to be no problems. :tazz:

Please can you give suggestions as to what I can check etc., or what might be wrong.

Thanks in advance.
Emma

Advertisements

eigchick

eigchick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've now solved this prob, I needed to download the latest service pack,
unistall and reinstall the IDE drivers,
and then make an entry into the registry.

This is the link, if anyone else needs it!!
http://support.micro...spx?kbid=817472

I then had to defrag!!

Finally it's working!!

Emma