Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mount/unmount prorblems with external hard drive in Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

Roger D

Roger D

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I've got a unbuntu 6.06 installation, on the whole it's just excellent. However, I've run into the following problem:

I've got a Western Digital My Book external hard drive. Up to now, it automatically appears on the desktop whenever I switch on. Suddenly it's stopped doing this.

When I click on Places>computer, I see the My Book icon complete with the Gnome footprint icon (not sure if there's any significance in the icon). When I right click on 'open', I get the message: 'Uanble to mount the selected volume'. 'Show more details' gets me:

error: directory/media/mybook not empty
error: could not execute pmount.

I know the drive is still working, as it's OK in Windows.

It looks as though I've failed to unmount the drive at some stage, but when I look in /media, this is what I get:

roger@roger-desktop:~$ cd /media
roger@roger-desktop:/media$ ls
cdrom cdrom0 hda1 My My Book
roger@roger-desktop:/media$

Which suggests My Book is indeed mounted - it's in dark blue, just like hda1. I'm a bit puzzled by the My (in black text) in front of My Book. It's a file, but what it's doing I just don't know.

I thought it might be worth trying to umount My Book, but this is what I get:

roger@roger-desktop:~$ cd /media
roger@roger-desktop:/media$ ls
cdrom cdrom0 hda1 My My Book
roger@roger-desktop:/media$ sudo umount "My Book"
umount: My Book: not mounted
roger@roger-desktop:/media$

Which, to me, is totally weird - one minute my system is saying a drive is mounted (probably); the next it's saying it isn't.

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but this is my fstab file:

/etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda3 / reiserfs notail 0 1
/dev/hda1 /media/hda1 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
/dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

I'm pretty much a Linux beginner, but out there I'm sure there's a Linux expert for whom these message all make perfect sense. I'd love to hear from them

Regards

Roger D

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Try doing a "df" to see what is mounted, I suspect it is not mounted though.

It looks like Ubuntu does an additional check to make sure that the mount point directory is empty, which is nice in a way, but also annoying :-). Go to the directory and type "ls -A". That lists the hidden files, except "." and "..", the "-a" option would list those, but those directories are always there, so what is the point.

Roger D

Roger D

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
HI thanks for the response, but what's a "df"

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Type "man df" at a command window: