Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Probs

• Please log in to reply

FUAT

FUAT

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Wassup fellas,

This is the current situation... Computer (desktop) was running fine up till about 2 months ago. Then it started to act up. ''IE'' - Shut off on its own for no reason every few days or so, but it would start back up again without much of a problem.

As the weeks went on, it had gotten worse and worse. Over the last few weeks and days, it takes me about 20 mins to get it up and running for a few hours before it shuts down again.

This is what happens when i try to start it up - Gets to the windows loading menu, then clicks off and it starts to scroll the following message....

Bad BIOS Checksum..Starting BIOS Recovery

Insert Floppy
No Floppy Found
Insert Cd-Rom
No Cd-Rom Found
Insert Floppy
No Floppy Found
Insert Cd-Rom
No Cd-Rom Found
Insert Floppy
No Floppy Found
Insert Cd-Rom
No Cd-Rom Found

Basically it does this till i have to manually restart it again. When i restart, 80% of the time it still contines to scroll that message. The other 15% of the time it will get to the desktop screen before it shuts down again. The final 5% it will work fine for a few hours, before it shuts down and starts to scroll that above message again.

Now this is the weird part. I was able to get it to run for a few hours the other day long enough to do a system restore back to sept. For some reason it wouldnt let me restore it from a eariler date then that. But since i did the restore, now it is running much better, (like it did a few months ago), but it will still periodically restart.

I was thinking it was maybe the motherboard or the powersupply, but i dont think that would be the case, since it is running better since the restore.

Its seems that i was able to restore it back to where the problems were just begining, when the problem wasnt so bad. But as each day goes, it tends to get a little worse each day.

I know that was alot to read, but i had to try to fully explain the problem.

BTW - I did do a virus scan after the restore and it did locate a trojen virus that i deleted. Now when i do a virus scan, everything comes back clean, but the problem still continues...

Any help would be appericated...

Thx fellas...

Feel free to stare at my sig while you come up with a solution

UPDATE TO THIS POST.....[size=7][size=3]

I inserted my motherboard disk in the CD drive while it was doing it scrolling routine. Something happened..It stopped scrolling the BIOS message and said...

READING CD-ROM
STARTING ERASE........
STARTING PROGRAMING.......

Please power down and power back up to return to system...

At this point i was excited because i thought i had fixed the problem. Turns out that when i restarted the computer i get nothing on my monitor, it stays turned off. The orange power light is on for the monitor ( like when you go into stand-by mode), but the computer is running.

Now i am at a complete loss...

Any help would be appeicated...

Thx All...

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Moving this to the hw forum where I believe you will get better assistance.

However, I believe at this time that if your system is still under warranty that it would be a good time to use it. The problems you have described are system board related meaning you have bad or failing hardware. In fact the last edit you made indicates that the bios has failed.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, welcome to geeks
this one interests me
remember I am working blind so bare with me
also if you haven't mentioned it yet:
- what model of computer
- what os, XPpro or home
- how old is it

questions
- would you agree with me that that it is a problem of boot here
- do you have a copy of XP(well I am hoping it's XP here)
- perhaps we are talking about repair with XP cd
- would you like to explain more after your reply

FUAT

FUAT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hi, welcome to geeks
this one interests me
remember I am working blind so bare with me
also if you haven't mentioned it yet:
- what model of computer
- what os, XPpro or home
- how old is it

questions
- would you agree with me that that it is a problem of boot here
- do you have a copy of XP(well I am hoping it's XP here)
- perhaps we are talking about repair with XP cd
- would you like to explain more after your reply

The computer stats are as follows...

Asus motherboard Model K8V SE

1024 Corsair Ram

Yes i am running Windows XP Pro (i do also have a copy has a back up)

I bought the CPU in 2004 from a site called IBUYPOWER.COM

I would love to just format the whole thing and start over again from windows, but now the problem i am having is that nothing shows up on the monitor.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
bare with me
questions
- do you get the bios screen
- what happens now when you boot onto the motherboard cd
- any reaction at all if you put xp cd into the drive

Edited by fleamailman, 21 October 2006 - 02:20 PM.

FUAT

FUAT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

bare with me
questions
- do you get the bios screen
- what happens now when you boot onto the motherboard cd
- any reaction at all if you put xp cd into the drive

I get no screen anymore....

Stays blank, like how it goes when it is in powerstore mode. The power button for the monitor which is usually grean when the monitor is up and working stays orange.

Also nothing changes when i insert the windows or the motherboard disk

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
not giving up, just looking something up here, normally when everything is black like this it is often the ram, but it could well be a different cause, meanwhile I'll let someone else offer suggestions.

FUAT

FUAT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

not giving up, just looking something up here, normally when everything is black like this it is often the ram, but it could well be a different cause, meanwhile I'll let someone else offer suggestions.

cool ill be here

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
What appears to have happened when you inserted the MoBo disk is it reprogrammed/flashed your BIOS, try this:
If you are OK with opening your PC case, look for a jumper on the motherboard that is labeled CLR_CMOS or CLEAR_CMOS, might not be a jumper, might be a push button. Enable this option (move the jumper or push the button). Boot up computer, wait one minute, than shut down and put jumper back in the original position. Sorry I can't be more detailed, I'm not familiar with this specific motherboard.

--bmwboy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi FUAT...

More questions...sorry. :whistling:

How old is your computer? The possibility that you flashed the BIOS aside, a dead CMOS battery can cause symptoms similar to those you describe.

Have you tried setting the BIOS Defaults before booting? Usually pressing the F5 key while in BIOS Setup and saving the settings will allow a boot.

How about beep codes when you start the machine? Do you hear a beep or series of beeps?

wannabe1

Advertisements

FUAT

FUAT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hi FUAT...

More questions...sorry. :whistling:

How old is your computer? The possibility that you flashed the BIOS aside, a dead CMOS battery can cause symptoms similar to those you describe.

Have you tried setting the BIOS Defaults before booting? Usually pressing the F5 key while in BIOS Setup and saving the settings will allow a boot.

How about beep codes when you start the machine? Do you hear a beep or series of beeps?

wannabe1

Hey wanna be...

The computer was built in 2004, so the batt should be ok, i hope.

Before when the computer would show something on the monitor, it would occasionally beep when i restarted it. It wasnt all the time that it beeped. Maybe about 1 out of 10 restarts it would beep.

When it did beep, it would beep about once every 1-2 seconds.

Now i get nothing....No screen or a beep.

FUAT

FUAT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

What appears to have happened when you inserted the MoBo disk is it reprogrammed/flashed your BIOS, try this:
If you are OK with opening your PC case, look for a jumper on the motherboard that is labeled CLR_CMOS or CLEAR_CMOS, might not be a jumper, might be a push button. Enable this option (move the jumper or push the button). Boot up computer, wait one minute, than shut down and put jumper back in the original position. Sorry I can't be more detailed, I'm not familiar with this specific motherboard.

--bmwboy

Hey boss..

This sounds like something i am willing to try if worse comes to worse which is about the point im at now).

Ill give you some of the specs of the motherboard , if it might help you expalin things a little better.

Here is a link to my MB.

http://www.dealtime....IFI_USB2_0_Mobo

Also..

http://www.dealtime....-www.google.com

Thx for all your help

Edited by FUAT, 22 October 2006 - 09:20 AM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
no, better that it is the battery because it is one of quick and simple options

FUAT

FUAT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Latest Update....

I reset the jumpers on the motherboard, and i was able to get the computer up and running again.

Now we are back where we started. The monitor works fine now, but still scrolls the message.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've seen bad or misconfigured ram cause this as well...

Do you have one or two sticks of Corsair installed? In which slots?