Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Probs

• Please log in to reply

FUAT

FUAT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I've seen bad or misconfigured ram cause this as well...

Do you have one or two sticks of Corsair installed? In which slots?

Just checked, and i have 2 sticks running...One of them is in DIMM 1 and the other is in DIMM 3

Slot 2 is empty....

I have a total of only 3 slots

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try moving the stick in slot 3 to slot 2 so that slots 1 and 2 are populated. Start the machine and then restart the machine. Do you still get the error on the second boot?

FUAT

FUAT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Try moving the stick in slot 3 to slot 2 so that slots 1 and 2 are populated. Start the machine and then restart the machine. Do you still get the error on the second boot?

Replaced them as you said, and still no change.

the ram is now in slots 1 and 2

Edited by FUAT, 22 October 2006 - 12:46 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Next test.

Remove the RAM and reinstall one stick at a time in slot 1 and test as before...two boots. If you still get the error, do the test again using slot 2.

Which Corsair are you using? I'm looking for the speed here...DDR200, DDR333, DDR400?

FUAT

FUAT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Next test.

Remove the RAM and reinstall one stick at a time in slot 1 and test as before...two boots. If you still get the error, do the test again using slot 2.

Which Corsair are you using? I'm looking for the speed here...DDR200, DDR333, DDR400?

Didnt forget about you bud...Still checking it...

Something rather intresting is happening though....

When i run the CPU with only 1 stick of ram in it, it runs and will get up to the desktop screen.(not sure if it will end up shutting down later on or not yet)

When i put both sticks in, it scrolls me that message BIOS Recovery ETC...

Im gonna try running it with each of the sticks alone and see what happens. Maybe one of the sticks are bad....Ill be back in a few minutes to update you on my progress..

BTW - The spd of the Ram was DDR400.

Edited by FUAT, 22 October 2006 - 01:36 PM.

FUAT

FUAT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
OK...

I was able to get both of the sticks to work again. I am able to get back to the desktop screen, but all my icons dont seem to be working now.

Im thinking if i should just format the whole thing at this point

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Don't format just yet... :whistling:

DDR400 should be installed in slots one and two. Is this how you now have it?

FUAT

FUAT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Don't format just yet... :whistling:

DDR400 should be installed in slots one and two. Is this how you now have it?

No...Thats how i had it the first time you told me to move them around. But after moving it around, i think they ended up being 2 and 3 right now.

I will put them to 1 and 2 now.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

Just checked, and i have 2 sticks running...One of them is in DIMM 1 and the other is in DIMM 3

Isn't this how you had them originally?

FUAT

FUAT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Isn't this how you had them originally?

They were shipped to me in slots 1 and 3when i first bought the CPU.

I have noticed something that maybe you find important. Ill try to explain this the best i can.

If i use only 1 stick and put it in either slots 1,2, or 3 then the computer will load up to my desktop.

If i use 2 sticks and load them into 1 and 2 , or 1 and 3, then i begin to get the scroll message.

If i use 2 sticks and load them into 2 and 3, then it will load to the desktop.

It seems that whenever i use both sticks and load one of them into slot 1, it gives me the problem.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...you may have a flakey slot or one that won't work properly without the other two being occupied. Unusual, but not unheard of with Asus boards...which I use almost exclusively.

When you do manage to get to the desktop without errors, does everything seem to work porperly? Or do you still have problems with the icons not opening your installed programs?

FUAT

FUAT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Ok...you may have a flakey slot or one that won't work properly without the other two being occupied. Unusual, but not unheard of with Asus boards...which I use almost exclusively.

When you do manage to get to the desktop without errors, does everything seem to work porperly? Or do you still have problems with the icons not opening your installed programs?

When i do get to the desktop, it runs EXTREMELY SLOW...and tends to lock up easily. The icons on the desktop do not open when i click on them.

The icons have also lost there orignal design they had on them. A example of this is, instead of saying ''America Online'' The icon now say ''America Online.INK''

Also the start menu doesnt come up when i click on that.

FUAT

FUAT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I appericate all your help bro, I will understand if you want to call it quits at this point.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Not quitting yet, we're just getting into my comfort zone... :whistling:

Download the attached zip file and save it to your desktop. Right click on it and choose "Extract All"...extract the file to your desktop. You should end up with a file named exe_fix.reg. Double click on this file and accept the change.

Reboot and see if the icons work as they should. If they don't, let me know and we'll wade into the registry to straighten it out.

Attached Files

FUAT

FUAT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Not quitting yet, we're just getting into my comfort zone... :whistling:

Download the attached zip file and save it to your desktop. Right click on it and choose "Extract All"...extract the file to your desktop. You should end up with a file named exe_fix.reg. Double click on this file and accept the change.

Reboot and see if the icons work as they should. If they don't, let me know and we'll wade into the registry to straighten it out.

Ill try this now...

Hopefully i will be able to get online to download this.

Ive been on my laptop while talking to you.