Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Geeks Gaming!

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
The free Geeks to Go multi-player gaming sever is setup and running!

The following 20 player instances are available:
Counter Strike: 70.84.146.218:27015
C.S. Source: 70.84.146.219:27015
America's Army: 70.84.146.220:1716
Battlefiled 1942: 70.84.146.221:14567
NEW! UT2004: 70.84.146.218:7777 (10 players)

Server specs:
Dell 400SC, Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz, 1GB ECC RAM, SATA Western Digital 74GB 10000RPM Raptor, Microsoft Windows Server 2003 - OS Standard Edition, Located in Texas at The Planet.

Comments welcome. :tazz:

edit: BF1942 was never used, so it's been removed and replaced by UT2004.

Also, this gaming server is rarley getting used. If you guys want to keep it available, we'll need to see some more activity, it's just not a very good use of resources sitting around mostly empty all the time. ;)

Edited by admin, 18 April 2005 - 12:05 AM.

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
awesome idea for the gaming server...now i wait hoping halo comes on...dont have the other games :tazz:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Games will be regularly reviewed and refreshed. We may also have an occasional large scale tournament that requires the entire server.

JuiceBox007

JuiceBox007

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I dont have any of those games either, I'll just have to pray they host a server for UT2004 :tazz:

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
The fact that its a planet server and located in texas is an excellent choice. Sorry to our overseas friends, your pings will be pretty high.

We should definitely customize the servers to benefit the site. For example, the names should be Geekstogo.com Gaming Server and the message of the days should have links to the geekstogo.com site. Also, display HUD messages advertising, like 3 times a map. I am talking about counter-strike here because thats all i aam familiar with.

I really hope to see it develop.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
i know for America's Army you can download it for free. its a fun game to play, I am goign to re-install mine so i can play on the gtg servers :tazz:

Get it here
http://www.americasarmy.com/downloads/

Ntd

Ntd

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Yeeha! Woot finaly a gtg cs server ;)!!! Cant wait to play CS and CS:S!! To bad i'll be playing when everones asleep :tazz: lol. Great idea!! Go australian broadband !! (prays for a ping under 300 ;))

D_SnipA.L.

D_SnipA.L.

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hey nice to meet you all. You all have been a great help so far with my PC problems but as far as games go come on now where the Unreal Tournament 2004?????????????????

Theres a clan server in texas and one in chicago so if ur worried about ping then you should be ok it would be great if u guys started UT2K4 THX.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
The free game server is being discontinued due to lack of interest. :tazz:

I was going to give it another month, but I just looked at the stats, and no one has really even used it for a week. You can see it was used a little from 4/7-4/13.
gaming.png

This server costs $159+/mo to operate, it's just not a good use of resources, if it's not being used. It could host 100 simultaneous users, yet I doubt we've ever broken 10.

It should be operational through May 5th. We may try it again some time in the future, but we see no need to continue it now.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
Thats really too bad. :tazz:

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
To bad it didn't take off. however, even when my clan setup a cs server we just didn't get traffic like we expected. We had a sweet deal for our box so we left it up for a few months. After bots support came out it helped a lot, but we couldn't generate long term traffic. Something about the cs universe.

Our other server, Call of Duty:uo, took us at least 6 months to get to where we are today, back in the top 20 servers in the world according to server spy. In addition to word of mouth advertising I spent a lot of time on other forums/sites listing our server.

I would say that we need to do some work in the gaming forum to help foster a larger community/response to support this effort.... I'm open to ideas on that front.

Starjax

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

I would say that we need to do some work in the gaming forum to help foster a larger community/response to support this effort....

I agree, and I'm open to any ideas. Kind of the chicken and egg conundrum. I thought the gaming server would build traffic in the gaming forum, but not enough people here knew about it. :tazz:

I never intended to make any money off it, or even gain advertising. I just thought it was a nice perk to offer members. In hindsight a dedicated box was probably too much to start with too. Maybe next time we'll just start with a single CS, or CS Source 16 player server, and go from there.

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I'm Bummed. That stinks. When can we get it back up?

Edited by Technogeek8, 29 April 2005 - 07:11 AM.

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Sorry

Edited by Technogeek8, 29 April 2005 - 07:11 AM.

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I know six or seven members that would use it. the problem is that we have to get guys organized to play at times. It's no fun by yourself. If you set a specific time in, like every saturday and keep it up top on the game forum page. I'm sure people would use it. Anyway, let e know when you put it back up. i'll play on it. I think the other problem mught be that not everyone's comp is capitble of playing unreal, or call of duty. If you host a older game like Quake 3...It's fun and anyone can play it. it's also not really intensive on the server. I know it's sorta old, but it still looks good and I know a bunch of guys who play it. K. See ya guys later.

David