Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Not matching windows XP Key

• Please log in to reply

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Hey Geeks :whistling:

My machine is a home edition OEM running SP2, once an idiot friend of mine installed a pirated XP Pro and i had to reformat to get XP Home back on there. When i checked my license key on the side of the computer it did not match to the one installed on the machine, though microsoft said i was running a legit version of xp (and still does). I deactivated windows and tried the key on the side and it did not work, so i just reactivated from the registry.

But my ID number or whatever it is still has OEM in it :

XXXXX-OEM-XXXXXX-XXXXX

WHAT IS GOING ON?

-OCM770-

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If your computer is a branded one (that is, if it's from a major supplier - HP, Compaq, Packard Bell, etc) then it's quite common that the key used to install Windows varies from the key stuck on the side of the case. The manufacturers use what's known as a Volume License Key - that is, they are allowed by Microsoft to use the same key on every computer they send out instead of the one on the side of the case.

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I had to reinstall my version of XP using the license key on the top of my case. Over the last year or so it's changed to a totally different key...I've never changed it or attempted to change it as there's no need to, although the 'new' key is still legitimate and I still get all the XP updates :whistling:

awk1203

awk1203

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Same problem for me also, Windows was not genuine, could not get any updates because of it but i got in contact w/ Microsoft and they provided me with a new key no.