Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ndiswan.vxd

• Please log in to reply

SVDtiger

SVDtiger

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
hi, i had the blind service folks come here yesterday and bring me a larger monitor and to install their assistive software screen reader and voice to text.

all was well until he was installing software and my power co. chopped power two or three times in a row. then all went to hades in a basket.

no cd/dvd "device not ready" error when trying to access the cd. the nec 3520a is present in device manager and i can even open the door from its icon D: in my computer but it wont play or recognize a disc. also no conflicts are showing.

im also getting the ndiswan.vdx missing error for sys.ini which i think i could fix if i had the cd rom back to remove and reinstall
DUN

and to make things worse machine will post and beep like normal but then when windows starts it will beep again. so something is wrong and i cant find it.

im not sure what he did as i was with the evaluation lady when power went down. his config of the new monitor is right so i dont know what to say about the guys ability. he even unloaded my old screen magnifier . now i have nothing.

he finally gave up so i did not get the assistive wares
either so im worse than when they came here except for
new monitor.

any help to get me stabilized will be most appreciated.

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Looking at the ndiswan.vdx part of this, here's a copy and paste of what probably went wrong:

"This problem can occur if you install Dial-Up Networking, Dial-Up Adapter, or Virtual Private Networking and then cancel Setup while the Copying Files dialog box is displayed. The Dial-Up Networking files are not copied to the hard disk but the file names are added to the registry. When the computer is restarted, the files are requested and cannot be found."

sounds like the power interupted while the Copying Files dialog box was displayed. Take a look at the following link. It looks like you may be able to correct this without your installation disc:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/166832

I know that there is more to do but it seems to me like this may be your starting point. ndiswan.vxd is listed among the files listed in that link....

edit...sounds like you are using W98. Are you using or connecting to any Novel/Netware product or lan. Are you using vpn? (virtual private networking)

Edited by macten, 21 October 2006 - 06:07 PM.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I may not be able to get back to this thread for awhile. My W2000 box just blue screened: irlq_not_less_or_equal plus other problems. I may format and re-install. Plus I'm in the middle of a moving sale......