Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SATA Cable Question

• Please log in to reply

gawlfer

gawlfer

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am looking to buy a new hard drive and am considering the Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA. It has a 3GB/s transfer rate. All the SATA cables I've seen have a max. transfer rate of 1.5GB/s.
Wouldn't the cable be the limiting factor?

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I am looking to buy a new hard drive and am considering the Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA. It has a 3GB/s transfer rate. All the SATA cables I've seen have a max. transfer rate of 1.5GB/s.

The sata 150 cables would still work and you would get the same speed. Its just a cable and it has the same prongs aswell and by the way most of the motherboards that has 3.0gb/s support is normally bundled with the sata 150 cables.

They do make sata 3.0gb/s cables its called Sata II cables...

Check this link... I found it myself you just have to use your brain and try different word combinations on the site search..

http://www.newegg.co........x=0&Go.y=0

gawlfer

gawlfer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I used my brain to compare the disk's transfer rate to the cable manufacturer's quoted transfer rate, thus creating the question posted.

I did not question the compatability of the terminals of the cable with the socket of the drive.

You offered no insight to the question at hand.

I did not come here to get flamed.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

At this time there is no "SATA II" cable - any standard SATA cable should be able to run at the maximum speed.

The limiting factor is more than likely to be the SATA ports on the motherboard itself - only very recent ones are able to run in actual SATA II mode. Some boards that only support SATA I will not talk to hard drives that are set up to run in SATA II mode.

The other limiting factor that may come into play is if you set up two or more SATA drives in a RAID array. Assuming the board can work with drives in SATA II mode, then having one drive running in SATA I mode will slow the rest of them down, in much the same way as what happens if you put a CD unit on the same cable as a hard drive - the HD slows down to the speed of the CD.

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Be thankful you got any insight or help this time :whistling:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I used my brain to compare the disk's transfer rate to the cable manufacturer's quoted transfer rate, thus creating the question posted.

I did not question the compatability of the terminals of the cable with the socket of the drive.

I wasnt flaming and you shouldnt of taken it the wrong way. It was a figure of speech saying what I did as when I went to newegg I had to search for it myself. No need to get mad.

I should of known you would of taken it the wrong way, you gotta watch what you say "Online" because people always take it the wrong way.

Guess I should of worded it differently but I was never thinking of hurting you in any way so calm down.

Im just here to help out.

If you would read my post more clearly it does infact tell you info.

There is SataII cables just look on the link I posted Neil Jones but I honestly think it wouldnt help out at all, your motherboard is more of the limiting factor like you said.

I answered this once, It wouldnt matter which cable you got the sata 150 or the sata II that I showed you on the link, your harddrive will get the same throughput using either of those cables.

Edited by jrm20, 21 October 2006 - 05:16 PM.

googlymoogly

googlymoogly

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Keep in mind that is theoretical max transfer rates, when they say 1.5GB or 3.0GB. I got a new sata hdd thinking it would blow my mind, but running HD Tune revealed a continuous read speed of like 66/MBs, just so ya know.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

Keep in mind that is theoretical max transfer rates, when they say 1.5GB or 3.0GB. I got a new sata hdd thinking it would blow my mind, but running HD Tune revealed a continuous read speed of like 66/MBs, just so ya know.

Which in practice is a pretty good speed... Even though it only shows "66MB/s", you'll find performance is pretty good, right?

googlymoogly

googlymoogly

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Oh of course, I just wanted to point out the fact the like me, many users can be mislead buying "3.0Gbps" HDD's. I was confused as to why I wasn't seeing uber fast speeds, but in actuality 66/MB is pretty good for anything I'm doing.