Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant turn Computer on

• Please log in to reply

SeraphHHC

SeraphHHC

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
i've been having random wierd things happening with my pc. i'm not sure if any of those have any thing to do with my current problem. i was playing a game and suddenly my pc shut off. no blue screen. it just shut off. now it will not turn on at all. u hit the power button and nothing happens. the fans dont even kick on. i was thinking it is the ps. but i dont know. the l.e.d on the mb is on. so it must be getting some power. what do i do or how can i figure out what might be wrong. what are some possibilites what it could be

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. This issue is usually caused by one of two things... (1) Bad power supply and (2) Dead motherboard ... I'm going to research this issue for you and see what we can come up with. :whistling:

SeraphHHC

SeraphHHC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
well i just bought a new mb. it is about 6 months old. i got it cause i thought the old one was bad. cause i was having some of the same problems with the old mb and cpu. the l.e.d is still on on the mb. that seems wierd to me if the ps is bad

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Alright, let me ask a few more questions.

(1) Have you made any adjustment to the cpu clockspeed?

(2) Have you put any thermal paste between the cooler and cpu? (Too much is nearly as bad as no paste)

the PSU would also be suspect. If the 1.5v leg drops out, you'll have no power to the CPU, but it may still light the lights and spin the fans, we'll have to figure it out. Keep in touch.

SeraphHHC

SeraphHHC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
i didn't mess with overclocking. i put arctic silver on and i only use just a little bit. i clean surface with achol. didn't touch the surface. i kept a eye on temp. usually ran idle at 37-39. gaming it ran usually 47-50. some time a little higher and some time lower. i have new ram, new hds, new cpu and new mb. i have coolmaster cyclone fan. my cpu is AMD 3500 claw hammer. the mb is abit ul8. i sent 9800 pro 128mb in for a new one also. did that cause i would get random artifacts. which i still get with the new card. i bought all this stuff cause with the old stuff i would have same problems. i thought this would fix it. but i still get some of the same problems. hds would continuously mess up. game would randomly crash. pc would randomly reboot to a blue screen. the thing that i didn't replace is the ps that is one reason i think it is that also. the ps is 20 pin. the mb is 24 pin. i am using an adapter 20-24 for the ps. the ps is a 420w i think. plz help. my wife is take college on the pc so need to fix it. plus i love gaming. i have had nothing but problems with the pc. :whistling: :blink: :help:

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Useing an adapter from 20->24 pin PS is not the best idea because the newer the computer the more power it needs (watt). It makes seince that your computer crashed durring a game.
When u disconnect the power and connect again do the fans spin a bit?
if not it is probubly the ps.

SeraphHHC

SeraphHHC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
so if i have the computer off and disconect the ps. when i reconect it and try to turn it on the fan should spin? i will try it as soon as i can plz. keep helping me with this matter. i have a little slow responce time cause i dont have a comp right now. ty

SeraphHHC

SeraphHHC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
i connected a other mb to the ps. i only pluged the power plug the 4 pin plug and a hd and the video card to it. o and just the power switch. i didnt turn on so i think it is the ps. not unless i forgot something. i will buy a new one friday i hope. any recomdations what i should buy?

SeraphHHC

SeraphHHC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
It was the psu. ty for all the help.

SeraphHHC

SeraphHHC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
my temps went way down too. old psu use to get really hot

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Glad you got it working!

Was this PSU from a new one or did you buy it at a store?

SeraphHHC

SeraphHHC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Glad you got it working!

Was this PSU from a new one or did you buy it at a store?

a new one. i bought a 600w ultra. works good. i bought the new one from tigerdirect