Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! Cd rom issues

• Please log in to reply

ugonzo

ugonzo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am trying to scan a picture to my computer, but it I need to install some software first. I tried installing but the cd rom isn't reading the software. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to purchase a new cd rom?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Have you tried a different cd just to make sure the cd rom is working? Does the drive show up in my computer? If you put a cd in it can you open windows exporer and navigatge to it and read it? Does the cd show up in device manager and is there a yellow ! next to it? Your answer to these questions will assist those who want to try to help you.

ugonzo

ugonzo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, to answer your questions...
*yes I have tried another cd
*yes, the drive shows up in my computer, but when I click on the drive, there are no files there to read
*no, I am unable to read the cd through using windows explorer
*I went to device manager and clicked on cd rom drive, and the status says the device is working properly. There is no yellow ! next to it.

Thanks in advance to any help I receive!!

mimi1967

mimi1967

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Im having the same problem with mine as well... One day I tried to burn a cd and all of a sudden kept getting errors. Now it wont read anything I put into the drive......

ugonzo

ugonzo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Anybody else have any suggestions?

Thanks

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Hi
I had a problem that I had to install a driver but it could not be read.
But the cd player was ok. (I had just installed XP)
I suggest to download the driver through the net or if u have a network to use the cd there and share the cd.
check a different disk to c if the player is ok.
I discovered that some diskburners do not burn well enough to ge read on all cd players.
If this doesn't help U might have 2 buy a new player.
good luck

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Have you tried cleaning the optical lens? You can get a lens cleaner cd at most electronics stores. Walmar has them for around $10.00. This is a cd with small brushes to clean the lens. You can also clean the lens with rubbing alcohol and cotton swab. Do a google search on "cleaning optical lens".