Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Maybe simple problem-CD player not quite right

• Please log in to reply

miraculous

miraculous

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello:

Just did a system reinstall for Windows 2000, with the help of the board, and everything went fine until I put a CD disc in. The first thing to appear is a player that came loaded with W2000-a simple little player, but no matter what I tried I could not get sound out of it. AC97 on board sound card with MSI ADM Micro ATX motherboard and Nforce video card. Nforce disc has the 97 drivers and I reinstalled them but to no avail. Then tried downloading Windows Media Player 9 and others but nothing overrides the problem of not quite correct sound with this clipping uneven play.

Was thinking of deleting the original CD player...in C:\WINNIT\system32. Keep thinking they are conflicting. Perhaps I need to update some drivers for my LG CD player. Just don't know. Anyone have any ideas?

TIA
Matc

Advertisements

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Did you change any physical parts of the system during the system restore? Ie. did you remove the audio cable from the cd drive/motherboard? Make sure you have all the latest drivers as this may be the problem. Once you've done this if you've still got problems post back in this thread

miraculous

miraculous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Didn't change any physical parts, did not remove cables, and other than loading my sound drivers again, what other drivers would you like me to check for updates. Not sure how to update drivers either. Been along time since I have done this. Drivers for Realtek AC97 shouldn't be a problem-not that old. My LG CDwriter? or Windows?

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
You will need to open up Device Manager. Quickest way to do this is Start - Run. Type devmgmt.msc and press enter. Look in the list for devices with yellow 'blobs' next to them. If any exist, these are the ones you need to update drivers for. Right click on your cd-rom drive in device manager, and select 'Update Driver'. You then want it to install automatically(the top option from the new window that will open), then in the second window you want it to allow to search online. Hopefully this shall solve your problems.

System101

System101

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
If im reading this right, do you have two (2) cd players?

Though this may not usually be a problem you may have a bios conflict or the master/slave settings aren't right.

However, about 6 months ago I had a problem with a player and it turned out that my sound card drivers had caused the problem.

Try reinstalling your video and audio drivers.

Also check to see if there are any device conflicts

miraculous

miraculous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
GrantG...did everything I could but no luck. Looked for any updates or missing drivers from Windows Update, Windows 2000 disc and the Nvdia disc that has the AC97 drivers. Still no sound out of the original CD player that comes with W2000 and not quite right sound from Window Media Player 9. The last line is for System101.

miraculous

miraculous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

If im reading this right, do you have two (2) cd players?

Though this may not usually be a problem you may have a bios conflict or the master/slave settings aren't right.

However, about 6 months ago I had a problem with a player and it turned out that my sound card drivers had caused the problem.

Try reinstalling your video and audio drivers.

Also check to see if there are any device conflicts

Have reinstalled drivers. I get proper sound with media player...remember that original little box you got with earlier Windows operating systems for playing videos. The problem is with playing CD's only.

Edited by miraculous, 21 October 2006 - 07:47 PM.