Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error!

• Please log in to reply

hawaii157

hawaii157

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok I just turned my computer on and now NONE of my applications work except for my internet and my computer/my documents. I cant even get into some of my control panel options. The error message says "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel". What is going on??? Does anyone know how to fix this?

Advertisements

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
This is a problem with Office XP missing the Microsoft Unbind. This shall solve the problem:

1. Insert the Office XP installation CD-ROM.
2. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
3. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
4. In the Add/Remove Program Properties dialog box, select your Office XP installation, and then click Add/Remove.
5. In the Maintenance Mode Options dialog box, click Add or Remove Features, and then click Next.
6. In the Features to install box, click the plus sign next to Office Tools.
7. Click the arrow next to Microsoft Office Binder Support.

NOTE: If the icon next to Microsoft Office Binder Support is gray, Unbind is not installed. If the icon is white, Unbind is already installed, and you can click Cancel to quit the installation program.
8. Click Run from My Computer, and then click Update.
9. Follow the instructions of the installation wizard to finish installing Microsoft Unbind.
To use Microsoft Unbind, follow these steps:
1. Using Windows Explorer, browse to find the binder file that you want to open.
2. Double-click the file.

Unbind automatically starts.
3. In the Unbind dialog box, select a location to save the contents of the Binder file to, and then click OK.

hawaii157

hawaii157

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Why Office XP??? I never had that to begin with on my computer. Do you mean Windows XP Home Edition disk?

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Microsoft suggests this is an error with Office XP. Although it is also associated with XP Home Edition. Try re-installing XP, that'll fix it :whistling:

That'll be the last resort though, there's 2 methods to fix the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308089

Edited by GrantG, 21 October 2006 - 05:33 PM.