Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer Advice

• Please log in to reply

Heineken77

Heineken77

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Guys,

Well I'm looking to get a new computer before Christmas and would love some advice! I'd also be interested in the differences between the G5/G6 apples and dual processor PCs. Do the G5s/G6s run windows or other window based software? Would it be worth it to buy a g5 or 6 to edit and just keep my current pc? - I currently have a 2.5ghz Intel Celeron computer with 566mhz. I live in Toronto Canada, and here is some more information in order to help you to see my situation and give me the best advice.

- I want a system that will flawlessly and very easily edit High Definition video. I have a sony HC3 High Def camcorder. Would like it to be able to handle the load without any issues of slow down, and mabye even use the internet and other programs while the computer captures the video without any slow down at all.

- Don't need a monitor or printer, just the box.

- Would like the computer to be able to easily handle 64-bit programs, as well as Windows Vista with EASE ((if I go PC rather than mac))

- Don't normally play games, but wouldn't mind a system that can handle games flawlessly as well IN CASE i decided to buy one...however seeing as I am not a big gamer, I am not looking to spend 5000 for a system good for games but waste that money because I never play them.

- Would like to have ways to play/pause live tv. would be cool..but again, not a deal breaker as I probably wouldn't use it.

- Would like to have a DVD burners that use light scribe ((burns labels onto disc) Not a deal breaker either.

- Would like lots of memory, BIG hard drive (300-500gb), and anything else recommended for HDV editing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I found one PC at future shop - HP Pavilion Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz Media Center TV Computer.

http://www.futuresho...i...8151&catid=
----------------------------------------------------------------------
However to my knowlege it does not support 64bit processing. It is $1399 + tax in Canadian funds.

FINALLY - I keep hearing things like hyperthreading, conroe, 64bit, dual processors ((even quad)), intel core due extreme edition. Woudl like a system that is top of the line at around the $2000 Canadian Fund range give or take.

Also, any direction as to where to buy would be fantastic!

Thank you kindly!!

Advertisements

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
The dual core's are a good bet
Although quad-cores are coming soon, but since you want it before Christmas I'd advise a dual core.
The system you notified would flawlessly run Vista and will easily allow you to edit videos, although the processor isn't particularly the fastest at only 2.13ghz, with dual core there's nothing you can go wrong with. Although it's best to shop around, you'll probably find the same spec system for higher and lower prices elsewhere. Goodluck :whistling:

Heineken77

Heineken77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Although quad-cores are coming soon, but since you want it before Christmas I'd advise a dual core.
The system you notified would flawlessly run Vista and will easily allow you to edit videos, although the processor isn't particularly the fastest at only 2.13ghz, with dual core there's nothing you can go wrong with. Although it's best to shop around, you'll probably find the same spec system for higher and lower prices elsewhere. Goodluck :whistling:

Thank you for your advice!
I look forward to hearing more input! :blink:

BTW...when are the quads due out?

cheers!

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Sometime in "the first half of 2007" according to AMD. Although in saying that most computing companies have a habit of releasing everything overdue. See the Windows XP Service Pack 3 forum for more info :whistling:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

The lowest end Conroe e6300 with 1.86ghz is faster than the older series Pentium D 930 at 3.0ghz. The conroe is completely redesigned and makes the pentium 4 series look like garbage.

Edited by jrm20, 22 October 2006 - 09:56 AM.

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
That's because Pentium 4's are garbage. hahaha, sorry, no offence to the P4 lovers:|

Also, I'm running a HT(hyper threading) prescott 3.4ghz and it does the job better than most new computers.

Edited by GrantG, 21 October 2006 - 06:16 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

That's because Pentium 4's are garbage. hahaha, sorry, no offence to the P4 lovers:|

Also, I'm running a HT(hyper threading) prescott 3.4ghz and it does the job better than most new computers.

Yeah the prescotts are not bad, they get the job done but there is better out there now.

I see that you got banned hmmm :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not a surprise really on the ban.

If its video editing youll be needing something a bit faster than the 6300 or 6400. 6600 at least or the 6700 maybe but 6600 is a great deal.

Can you build or would you be willing to it would be easier than buying one as you wont get everything you want unless you go custom and some of the custom places arent as good as they could be.

Heineken77

Heineken77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
First I would like to thank all of you for your insightful input. After reading all of your comments, and doing a lot more research on my own I have gained some more insight, however I still would like to hear from some knowlegeable people to clarify a few more questions I still have before I take the plunge. As you probably all can tell, I am far from a computer guru, nor does my brain process all of the information out there very good. I'm still running the Pentium I up in the old head of mine.

1) Would an Apple G5 do better for hd video editing and gaming than a PC with an intel core 2 duo 6700 or extreme x6800 processor?

2) What if I ran Windows on an Apple G5, or a hack to allow me to run windows software on the Apple, would I lose performance rather than just purchasing a PC to run the software?

3) Is there any downside to purchasing an Apple when it comes to video editing, gaming etc., or is the a thing of the past?

4) Is Apple's G5 processor better than a core 2 extreme 6800 processor seeing as it has a quad processor? Is the G5 the fastest thing around?

5) Can I get a G5 for $2500-3000 canadian taxes in?

6) If I decided to go the PC route and build my own PC, have one built for me, or purchase one at an online store could I get:

* x6800 core 2 duo
* High end video card to deal with the hd editing and games (any recommendations here? I hear there are dual video cards out now...is this necessary or recommended?)
* 300-500gig 7200rpm HD (btw..what is SATA)
* 2gb DDR2 - 800 Memory (best type you can get? - Overkill? - Any recommendations)
* DVD-RW (Possibly Lightscribe)
* DVD-Rom/CD Burner
* Whatever else you recommend as I have never built or puchased a high end unit before.

7) Finally, are the G5s and the PC possibilities hopefully some could give insight to all highly upgradeable, so I don't have to worry about not having the ability to add extra things like: lots of memory, future video card upgrade, etc.

Again, I'm sorry for being so 'noobish'. I hope to hear from some of you ((at your convenience))
Thanks again!!!!

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I would rather have the e6600, e6700 or x6800 conroe most definately over any mac but thats just my personal opinion.

Why buy a mac for gaming since it is limited to game playing. You shouldnt have to "Hack" the system in order to put windows on a mac in order to play windows games its just pointless.

You have alot of options and remember the quad cores come out soon and since you seem to have a pretty hefty budget you should have no problem affording a quad core intel system when they come out.

About the video cards, dont go all out on a $400-$700 video card when its so close that directx10 is coming out.

Directx10 will only work on directx10 video cards which arent even out. They will be out soon and you will also need windows vista in order to use the directx10 architecture because windows vista is the only operating system to have directx10 for now.

SO for example if you bought a $600 video card like the nvidia 7950 x2 which only supports directx9, when the directx10 video cards come out some of the mid end directx10 video cards will be able to outperform the nvidia 7950 x2 and when that happens you will not be happy that a lower priced card beats your directx9 video card...

Heineken77

Heineken77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Please skip the previous post of mine.

I dived in and took a chance.

Found a great deal on the following:

AMD 64 x2 5000+
2gb DDR2 SDRam
320GB Hard-Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE

I decided to go this route because it was a lot cheaper than the prices that I have been seeing, and when talking it over with the Fiancee, I decided that the money I wanted to spend on a 'super computer' could do better in other areas in our lives until a year or two later lol

So the question is, will this more than suffice to edit HD that I capture with my HDR-HC3?

Thank you! :whistling:

P.S. Thank you for the DirectX10 Advice! :blink:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Please skip the previous post of mine.

I dived in and took a chance.

Found a great deal on the following:

AMD 64 x2 5000+
2gb DDR2 SDRam
320GB Hard-Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE

I decided to go this route because it was a lot cheaper than the prices that I have been seeing, and when talking it over with the Fiancee, I decided that the money I wanted to spend on a 'super computer' could do better in other areas in our lives until a year or two later lol

So the question is, will this more than suffice to edit HD that I capture with my HDR-HC3?

Thank you! :whistling:

P.S. Thank you for the DirectX10 Advice! :blink:

That pc would do fine but I would get a better video card since you will be dealing with video editing stuff.

If you plan on viewing these videos on the pc try just alittle more for a video card, that one you picked out is horrible.