Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC frequently crashes or fails to load up

• Please log in to reply

kingtaz

kingtaz

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
hi there. recently my pc has started to crash quite frequently. it has also failed to load up with almost identical frequency to the crashes. i recieve messages stating *** STOP 0x0000007F and then a series of zero's. when this problem first occurred i formatted my hard drive and reinstalled xp, hoping the problem may have been wiped out by this. however, it is still a problem and a very annoying one. Can anyone help me with this problem? is it fixable?

Thanks

Taz

Advertisements

System101

System101

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Well, this error is caused by either a software or a hardware problem.

Since you just reinstalled your OS it is possible you have a hardware problem, possible causes are: Corrupt memory (RAM), Overlclocked processor, malfunctioning motherboard, mismatched memory modules.

Check out this link for more info: http://support.micro...kb;en-us;137539

kingtaz

kingtaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
thanks. i checked the error message i recieved and it was the following:

***Stop: 0x0000007F (0x0000000D, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory

On this message i was advised "to run a system diagnostic utility supplied by your hardware manufacturer. In particular, run a memory check, and check for faulty or mismatched memory. Try changing video adapters.
Disable or remove any newly installed hardware and drivers. Disable or remove any newly installed software. If you need to use safe mode do so."

Do you know what i need to do based on this message? how do i run a system diagnostic utility?

Many thanks for you time

Kingtaz

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause (many dozen KB articles exist for this error referencing specific hardware failures) and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

Is there a pattern to the freezes nd stop messages. What programs does this happen in? What hardware is the program you are using running?(sound card)(Graphics card) If it's any & all times with almost any program running i would look to the memory first as its the easist to fix.

SRX660

kingtaz

kingtaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
hi there. no pattern to freezes. can either happen instantly when i load up pc or at any time during use. the most common occurence is the pc freezing and my mouse and keyboard do not respond. the system is still swithced on though. i can be browsing the internet or anything and the mouse just freezes and the whole system freezes. ive only had the stop message 2 or 3 times. the most common is the above freezes.
To answer you second question, it happens with no specific program.
Thirdly, i think my graphics card is a nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440. not sure about sound card though. How can i tell?
Also, if it is, as you suggest, a memory problem, are you talking about Ram or my hard disk? how is it easiest to fix and how can i fix it?

Many thanks. Your time and help is very much appreciated.

Kingtaz

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you download memtest86 you can test your memory. If it is other hardware you need to eliminate the problem hardware one by one to see if that piece of hardware is the problem. Unfortunately you are not in a position where you can change different hardware out to sort out the problem. i really doubt it is your graphics card but it is possible. Lets just try the memory first and see what we find.

SRX660

kingtaz

kingtaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
how do i use that memtest86? dont have a clue how to install it.

thanks

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Windows Installation

For windows installation begin by downloading either the Pre-Compiled Windows package to build a boot-able floppy disk or an ISO (zip version) to create a boot-able CDROM. After the file is downloaded an extract must be done to uncompress the file(s). To extract right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract All" option. The extract option will let you choose where the files will be extracted to. To build a bootable floppy go the the folder where the files were extracted and click on the Install icon. The floppy disk will appear to be unformatted by Windows after the install is complete.

To build a boot-able CDROM use your CD burning software to create an image from the un-zipped ISO file.

Since Memtest86 is a standalone program it does not require any operating system support for execution. It can be used with any PC regardless of what operating system, if any, is installed.

Memtest86 has a limited number of online commands. Online commands provide control over cache settings, error report modes, test selection and test address range. A help bar is displayed at the bottom of the screen listing the available on-line commands.

Command Description

ESC Exits the test and does a warm restart via the BIOS.

c Enters test configuration menu
Menu options are:
1) Cache mode
2) Test selection
3) Address Range
4) Memory Sizing
5) Error Summary
6) Error Report Mode
7) ECC Mode
8) Restart
9) Adv. Options

SP Set scroll lock (Stops scrolling of error messages)
Note: Testing is stalled when the scroll lock is
set and the scroll region is full.

CR Clear scroll lock (Enables error message scrolling)

To use these commands you will use the arrow keys to highlight the option you want, then you will hit the enter key to start the command. To stop the test hit the "Esc" key in the upper left corner of the keyboard.

You can read more about the commands here.

http://www.memtest86.com/#install

SRX660

kingtaz

kingtaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
thanks. got it working but ill need to run the test tommorrow and get back to you then as im off to get some sleep. ill post any results tommorrow.

thanks

Kingtaz

kingtaz

kingtaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
hi. i ran memtest 4 times to check for errors but there were none found. what do you suggest i do now?

Thanks

Kingtaz