Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Motherboard life expectancy?

• Please log in to reply

jrspie

jrspie

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi,
Can simebody please tell me what the life expectancy is for a MS-7093 with an AND 64 Athlon 3200+
in a 2 year old eMachines T6212?
I'm replacing the hard drive and installing a new OS and don't want to get nailed in the near future with
unpleasant surprises.
Thanks,
J.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
There is no real answer to that. In theory it can last a long time, but it depends on the conditions the machine is kept in, how good the power is, etc. The quality of the parts also plays into the equation too. How you use the machine, whether you constantly turn it off and on, etc. makes a difference.

Buying a new machine does not really change things either. It might last a long time or it might die soon.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
In an eMachines, the power supply is almost certainly guaranteed to go first.

In fact while the system works now, check the brand name on the power supply. If it is a Bestec branded supply, these have a design fault in which they start to supply too much voltage to the board, which cooks it. The problem, according to Usenet, is common in the eMachines 420 model as all these went out with those PSU's.

See here for details:
http://groups.google...b6010c40b6ae3b9

jrspie

jrspie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thank you both for your input.
I guess I'll just replace it and add a power supply to the deal.
J.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Every e-machine i get i usually gut it and build a decent machine out of the case. I kinda like the cases. I'm rebuilding a T2642 machine right now with a intel D102G Mb and a 3.2 celly cpu for a young girl in need as a christmas present. She is borrowing my old H-P Vectra 1 giger and seems to be very interested in doing computer graphics. So her mom and I are going to help her out. Hate losing the nice smallish case but its for a good cause.

SRX660