Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

volume icon is missing

• Please log in to reply

cleardarksky

cleardarksky

• Pip
  • 8 posts
System Specs Are: windows xp home, 512mb ram, 2.8GHz intel celeron cpu

The sound on my computer has completely gone. the volume icon is missing. I have an

onboard Realtek AC97 sound device.
All of a sudden, the other day i swithed on the pc and no sound. device manager reports no

audio problems, however system information says that IRQ 16 is being used by a graphics

controller and usb universal host controller. in control panel under sounds and audio

devices i get a "no audio device" message. the last two programs i installed are windows

media player 11 and IE 7.0 about two weeks ago, and the problem starter yesterday.
i have tried system restore to no avail. BIOS sound is enabled. speakers work just fine on

another pc. i can't Extract a copy of Sndvol32.exe from windows xp cd because all i have

are the three restore cd's when i bought the pc, and when i try to reinstall audio drivers

via the restore cd or from C:\Drivers\Audio\OriginalDriver the system stops installing at

80% and i get the following:"Realteck ac'97 audio (4.86) tool for driver update has

encountered a problem and needs to close."
i tried unistalling realtek ac'97 in add/remove programs but i get the following pop up:
realtek ac'97 audio
>setupDLL\setupDLL.cpp (391)
pAPP:Realtek ac'97 audio
PVENDOR:Realtek semiconductor corp.
PGUID:fb08f381-6533-4108-b7dd-039e11fbc27e
$11.50.0.42618
@windows XP service pack 2 (2600) IE 7.0.5700.6
Setup has experienced an error.
Please do the following:
- Close any running programs
- Empty your temporary folder
- Check your internet connection (Internet-based Setups)
error code 5001

when i run directX diagnostic tool i get the following:
Sound Tab 1: DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT =

0x8878000a (The request failed because DirectSound resources, such as the priority level,

were already in use by another caller.) and
Music Tab: DirectMusic test results: Failure at step 6 (Activating the IDirectMusicPort):

HRESULT = 0x8878000a (The request failed because DirectSound resources, such as the

priority level, were already in use by another caller.)

device manager shows the following under sound, video and game controllers:
audio codecs, legacy audio drivers, legacy video capture drivers, media control devices,
and video codecs. each device is enabled and supposedly "working properly".

when i installed a pci sound card the volum icon does come back and i can hear music, but

i'd like to figure out the audio problem.
i know i can do a windows xp re-install but that is going to be my last option.
what do you guys think?

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Unless someone has a better idea here how about:
- open case
- remove card
- turn on computer
- uninstall driver

- open case
- issert card
- turn on computer
- install driver

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You probably don't want to hear this. i have been a sound blaster fan for many years and always installed a card in every computer i built for myself. Recently i rebuilt a intel 2.4 with a intel 845 chipset Mb that had realteK AC97 sound. So i decided i would try it. Jeze, it took me about a hour befor i decided to dig up that old sound blaster live 5.1 card i had laying around and install it. That AC 97 is the worst thing i've heard and played with in a long time. Anything, yes, any sound card at all is probably better than that.

SRX660

cleardarksky

cleardarksky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
to "fleamailman", the problem is with an on-board sound device, so i can't simply open case, remove card, remove drivers and re-install sound card.

to "SRX660", i am not an audiophile that's why i would rather have the stupid realtek ac'97 audio device back, when i installed a sound card i can hear music and the volume icon does show up on the task bar.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
sorry about being asleep, all this blurs after awhile

your case is odd because normally, there is no icon and the drivers are missing with no sound, or there is the icon and sound and the drivers are there too, not one without the other as in this case.

- forget the cd you have, can you download the latest driver from here
http://www.realtek.c...p;GetDown=false
uninstall the driver in devmgmt.msc and reinstall from safemode

if I am wrong again you don't lose anything I think