Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron 6000 - Video

• Please log in to reply

SLeeCa

SLeeCa

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have an Inspiron 6000. When I have the AC power plugged in the screen is bright and good. When it is unplugged and I'm running on battery the screen is much darker. To a point that it is too dark. So I always have my AC power on. I would love to fix that. I check on power options in control panel, not much there. The laptop comes with ATI driver (ATI Mobility Radeon X300) and I checked the powerplay option, changing the settings there didn't help either. I also can only run 1280 x 800, can't be any higher. It is rather frustrating. Anyone can offer some suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially ways to making the screen much brighter!!!

SL

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, this one interests me
remember I am working blind so bare with me
also if you haven't mentioned it yet:
- what model of computer
- what os, XPpro or home
- how old is it

on the keyboard you will notice sysbols that look like the shinning sun or
similar depending on the laptop make and model often those symbols are in blue, then you will see another button on the keyboard marked F,(meaning secondary function), now you have the idea I leave you to either contact the makers site for info or look at the computer's manual for details

SLeeCa

SLeeCa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The fact that it is Inspiron 6000, it is obviously a Dell and it is recent. It runs XP and it is less than a year old. Like most other keyboards, I have a Fn key in blue, and the Shining Sun looking keys. I tried it out and it did improve the brightness. It is interesting that when it is unplugged from AC the brightness is turned way down, but by using Fn and this Shining Sun key I can go back to max brightness. Thanks. I didn't find this in any power option settings but anyway, I can at least manually turn it up when unplugged. Any idea about the resolution? Or I'll have to get a different driver...

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
there is always quite a big difference between the powered and the unpowered screen, I think it is normal

PeachesCA

PeachesCA

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
I've got the same laptop and I was rather irked, too, about how the screen brightness goes down. Sorry, don't know much about the resolution, as I don't have ATI.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
your screens resolution is probably maxed out

the thing with laptop screens is that they are limited by there size and usually are already running ta their "native" resolution changing the resolution will just make the picture distorted and horriable for example it could be really streatched (horizontally) and really short (vertically)

changing teh resolution on a laptop screen wont benifit you sure you can try to change it but its useless

troppo