Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Restticting wireless network by MAC

• Please log in to reply

Adrian04

Adrian04

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 router and cable modem connected. I'm connected thorugh ethernet and two others wirelessly. When I tried to set up security using WEP, the wireless PCs could never connect so I now restrict access by MAC address. How secure is this? I also disable SSID broadcast so people can't see it says my network is unsecured.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
It's pretty safe, but the more you can stack, the better. Keep in mind that this will only stop you from 99% of the people. If someone really wants to get into your network, they'll find a way. The more security you have, the better off you are.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
That's probably the best thing you can do. Disabling the SSID allows your connection to be masked to the viewing public unless they know the name of it. Try changing the SSID to something you wouldn't easily guess.

Also, I would strongly suggest you use WPA vs WEP. A WEP key can be broken in a matter of minutes.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Turning off the ssid isnt very effective either, like these wireless pirates <-- thats what i call them :whistling: seen here.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
heh. Entertaining article :whistling: You can do whatever you want to encure security, but if they want in, they'll get in.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
exactamundo <----- I stole that from Mr. Snipes :whistling:

They prefer the term "Wardrivers" but I prefer Wireless Pirates since in reality they are just thiefs, plus wardrivers has a romantic ring to it that may lure the unsuspecting honest abe.

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 22 October 2006 - 08:19 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
and MAGICALLY IT APPEARED!

...no, its called the user being stupid and either:

A: Just turned off the SSID and has an unencrypted network
B: Using WEP and kismet broke it in a matter of minutes, which wouldnt surprise me

Also, make sure you update the firmware of the router. Newer updates from most vendors elimanate the broadcast of certain "intresting" packets that can make it easier to crack an encryption key.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
If your using a linksys router and you dont have HyperWrt as your firmware with WPA then your just askin for it.