Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Firewall problem

• Please log in to reply

shouranpotter

shouranpotter

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but, my Norton anti virus had been acting abnormally for a few weeks now. It started when I disabled it for a while to optimise my PC using "Tune up ultilities". Then when I logged into my account again, the Norton button at the task bar is gone and when I tried to open it from the start menu, it doesn't come on. I tried to uninstall it and install it again but it don't uninstall. the system always says that it's being use at the moment (or something like that). I can't install norton using the CD too coz the system says it's already installed.

After that, I find it hard to use newly installed applications that uses the internet like Firefox and IE 7. I needed to go back to IE 6 coz IE 7 is being blocked so there's no internet connection with it.

Also, the only time I can scan my PC is when I right click on the Local disk and choose scan with norton anti virus. However, symantec update can't connect to the internet too. It says it can't connect to the internet and I'm guessing it's also cuased by the firewall. It's very out of date now and I'm afraid my PC has viruses that my anti virus software doesn't know atm. I tried to install free anti virus software like Lavasoft ad-aware SE personal but it's also out of date now.

Is there any other way to get rid of my old norton system?
Thank you very much in advance!
Philip.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try the Norton Removal Tool

http://service1.syma...005033108162039

shouranpotter

shouranpotter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thank you very much!
I've successfully uninstalled my Norton anti virus and Firefox and other browsers are working fine now.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know