Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intensive HD Use Causes Hi Pitched Beeping!

• Please log in to reply

datasafe

datasafe

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all, first post to this forum.

I have a rather annoying and odd problem with my computer.

Whne I try doing some disk intensive work (e.g. deleting a lot of files in one go, doing a spy or anti-virus scan) I get a very high pitched beep, beep, beep sound. This will continue until I restart the computer.

I thought it might be the hard drive I was working on complaining, so I replaced it. Started doing a format on the new 250Gig drive and after about 4% the beep started again!

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Are you sure it is not the system speaker that is constantly beeping telling you that there is a memory problem with your computer? Run memtest86 and see if the memory passes.

SRX660

i686

i686

• Pip
  • 3 posts
You might want to check if the Mainboard has any Swallen or Leaky Capacitors as I had a similar problem with Random beeping on one of my old systems, and it turned out to be a few Swallen caps around the base of the Mainboard, but it would only start all the beeping in cold weather..

On 2nd thought, it could be the High Temperature Warning for the CPU, as formatting a drive is pretty CPU intensive, check the BIOS settings..

i686

Edited by i686, 23 October 2006 - 05:41 AM.

datasafe

datasafe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

Gonna checkup with your suggestions.

The beeping is very hi-pitched so I don't think it's the PC speaker.

It does sound like some sort of alarm, is very regular and precise in timing - continual short beeps.

I can make it happen by starting some intensive hard drive activity.

I'm gonna have a look in the system BIOS.

Cheers

John